Young's double slits - with a twist

• Thread starter advanced
  • Start date
In summary: Set the two expressions for optical path length equal to each other, and solve for the film thickness.In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a past physics paper regarding a Young's double slit interference experiment with a twist. One of the slits is covered by a soap film with a refractive index of 1.35, causing the zero order fringe to occupy the position of the 20th fringe. The angle between the light producing the two fringe positions is 1.2 degrees. The conversation goes on to discuss the method for finding the thickness of the soap film and the separation distance of the slits using equations for Young's slits and refractive index. Two different approaches are suggested, one using time differences and the other using
advanced
Young's double slits - with a twist!

Homework Statement

So this one of the many problems posed in my big book of questions for my current topic (Currently year 12 in England (ie 16-17 year olds) doing AS physics). The question is from a past paper of the British Physics Olympiad (year 2001 Paper 2 Question 1, although no markscheme is available online)

"During a Young's double slit interference experiment, using light of wavelenth 650nm, one slit is covered by a soap film of refractive index 1.35. This causes the zero order fringe to occupy the position previously taken by the 20th fringe. The angle between the directions of the light producing the zero fringe positions is 1.2 degrees. What is the thickness of the soap film and the separation distance of the slits? How would one optically identify these zero order fringes?"

Homework Equations

See https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=203 for young's slits equations

and some refractive index equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Find d (slit separation), using no film

n*wavelength = d*sin(theta)

d = (20*650*10^(-9))/sin(1.2) ***Is it sin 1.2 or sin 0.6?***

2) Find the soap film thickness

When light passes between two media, velocity and wavelength change but frequency is constant. Also, I need a way of finding a thickness of the film, and I am using light so know it's speed, and can hopefully use speed=distance/time. However I need a time, so thought about expressing the path difference not in distance but as a time, since I can find the time for the original path difference (speed*(d*sin(theta)))=time spent in path difference without the film.

This is where I get stuck... I think I need to link the changing position of the zero order fringe to a new path difference, in terms of a time and then use that to find the thickness of the film.

Also I was wondering whether there could be multiple thicknesses of film that produce fringes in the same position, for instance by adding on a length of film to the existing film corresponding to a distance used up by one full wavelength (or am I missing an obvious point here??)

Thanks anyway - hopefully you can get a bit further than I have!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your idea is good: the original time path difference was d*sin(theta)/c, so that has to be the time difference caused by the film. If the film didn't exist, light would take T/c to cross the thickness of the film. However, it does exist, so light would take T/(c/n). The difference between the two is your time difference.

Another way to think about this: in the time light takes to cross the film (T/(c/n)), light travels distance Tn in a vacuum. Tn-T=T(n-1), which has to be equal to the path difference in distance.

I'd stick with using lengths. The zero-order fringe occurs at the point where there's no difference in optical path length; in other words, the same number of wavelengths are between the source and the screen for the two paths. When the zero-order fringe moves to the n=20 spot, one ray now has a longer path because of the geometry; the other's path is longer because of the soap film.

1. What is the Young's double slit experiment?

The Young's double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the pattern of interference that is created on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the "twist" in the experiment change the results?

The "twist" in the experiment refers to the addition of a third slit, creating a triple slit setup. This changes the results by creating a more complex interference pattern with additional bright and dark fringes.

3. What is the significance of the interference pattern in the experiment?

The interference pattern in the Young's double slit experiment is significant because it demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. This supports the theory that light behaves as both a particle and a wave.

4. What factors can affect the interference pattern in the experiment?

The interference pattern can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Other factors such as the intensity of the light and the material of the slits can also affect the pattern.

5. How is the Young's double slit experiment used in practical applications?

The Young's double slit experiment is a fundamental concept in optics and is used in various practical applications such as diffraction gratings, holography, and interferometers. It is also used in the field of quantum mechanics to study the wave-particle duality of matter.