Double Slit Question with Thin Lens concept

In summary, the thin glass plate results in each bright fringe moving to the location of the adjacent bright fringe. The minimum thickness of the glass is 8.65×10^-8 mBit thin.
JohnGaltis

Homework Statement

Consider a double slit experiment with a light source of 540nm. Slit separation is 4mm. A thin glass plate is placed in front of one of the slit,, resulting in each bright fringe moving to the location of the adjacent bright fringe. Find the minimum thickness of the glass.

Refractive index of the glass is 1.56. Ignore reflections caused by the glass.

Homework Equations

2nt= +- mλ (bright fringe)
2nt= +- m+½λ (dark fringe)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should be using the thin lens formula since they emphasised the thin glass plate as "thin". Bright fringe moves the distance of a dark fringe to take the position of the adjacent bright fringe.

It seems too simple to just use

t= (m+½λ)/2n

Is there something I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello John,

No lens. But I don't see what minimum thickness you propose. m, t, n ?

By the way, I'd like to see a drawing of the situation before and after placing the glass plate. I have difficulty understanding what exactly happens with the 1st maximum (does it move to where the 2nd was before?) Then how can the 2nd maximum move to where the 3rd was instead of to where the 4th was ?

BvU said:
Hello John,

No lens. But I don't see what minimum thickness you propose. m, t, n ?

By the way, I'd like to see a drawing of the situation before and after placing the glass plate. I have difficulty understanding what exactly happens with the 1st maximum (does it move to where the 2nd was before?) Then how can the 2nd maximum move to where the 3rd was instead of to where the 4th was ?
It's a conceptual question though.

mkbFoV4.jpg

I merely used:

Thickness= λ/4n

to obtain 8.65×10^-8 m

Bit thin for a glass plate, I would say...

What is the agrgument for your ##\lambda/(4n) ## ?

PS I initially misread a part. Perhaps this helps to compensate ...

Hmm but I don't have the distance between the slits and the wall.

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double-slit experiment relate to thin lenses?

The concept of thin lenses is often used in the analysis of the double-slit experiment. A thin lens is a theoretical lens that has no thickness and causes no aberrations in the light passing through it. In the double-slit experiment, thin lenses are used to simulate the behavior of light passing through the slits and forming an interference pattern.

3. What is the significance of the double-slit experiment in physics?

The double-slit experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light. It shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle, depending on the conditions of the experiment. This concept has important implications in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the nature of light.

4. Can the double-slit experiment be performed with other types of waves?

Yes, the double-slit experiment has been performed with various types of waves, including sound waves and water waves. The interference patterns observed with these waves are similar to those observed with light, further supporting the wave-like nature of all types of waves.

5. How has the understanding of the double-slit experiment evolved over time?

The double-slit experiment has been studied and analyzed by many scientists over the years, leading to a deeper understanding of the wave-particle duality of light. Early experiments by Thomas Young in the 1800s first demonstrated the interference pattern, and later experiments by Max Planck and Albert Einstein provided further evidence for the quantum nature of light. Today, the double-slit experiment continues to be a fundamental concept in physics and is still being studied and explored by scientists.