Your favorite drug prevents brain rot

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary: I always thought caffeine was a good thing.In summary, this study suggests that caffeine may slow Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, restore cognitive function. However, it is not clear if caffeine is really good for us or not, as it may have negative effects such as insomnia and anxiety.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Physics news on Phys.org
I love all these studies that justify coffee and chocolate consumption. I can even tolerate the occasional glass of red wine to good health if I'm forced. :biggrin: I will continue to selectively ignore the studies that tell me what it's all bad for.

Is that why I am so smart? I knew drinking 4 2leeters of pop a day had to be good for me but couldn't figure out how...

magpies said:
Is that why I am so smart? I knew drinking 4 2leeters of pop a day had to be good for me but couldn't figure out how...

FOUR 2L bottles of soda...a day?! :bugeye:

Well, I guess your bladder muscles are in great shape then.

Ivan Seeking said:
It isn't working.

Are you sure you remember to drink it?
Or do you just wander into the kitchen and can't remember what you went in for?

mgb_phys said:

Who knows?

mgb_phys said:

I know I've had a bad day when I come home from work and find the coffee cup sitting on the coffee maker, still full. It's a bad morning when you make coffee and don't remember to drink it.

Remember to take your memory pills first. That should help you remember to drink the coffee that will in turn help the dementia.

With that, I guess I'll go pour myself another cup of coffee.

I think I made a pot this morning?

Ivan Seeking said:
Who knows?

I thought 'how did you know?' as a reply to mgb's would do it, but giving it a second thought, your's is hilarious :rofl:

I'm bad at recalling events/names/information/people!... And I love cocolates, but it's no good... I think I'm a fish!

Integral said:
With that, I guess I'll go pour myself another cup of coffee.

I think I made a pot this morning?

Nope, that's from two days ago. Meh, just warm it up a bit, it'll be fine.

Antiphon said:
Remember to take your memory pills first. That should help you remember to drink the coffee that will in turn help the dementia.

I can't remember to take the folic acid for my memory until I've had my coffee.:wink:

Dunno about long term effects, but since I cut all candy, coffee, soft drinks and fast foods I can definitely say there is an obvious increase in the responsiveness of my mind, as well as memory, multitasking, pattern recognition and so on.

Weren't cigarettes also promoted as GOOD and HEALTHY by medical doctors back in the old days? Maybe trying to boost the economy a little, by advertising a drug that has long been known for it's negative effects?

Last edited:
dgtech said:
a drug that has long been known for it's negative effects?
What negative affects? That some people get jittery if they consume too much?

I'm one of those people that is not affected by caffeine, at least not at the low levels found in a cup of coffee. For years I used to have a large cup of caffeinated coffee right before bed to relax me. My mother was the opposite, one cup and she'd be up all night.

Moonbear said:
FOUR 2L bottles of soda...a day?! :bugeye:

Well, I guess your bladder muscles are in great shape then.

While his pancreas and liver weep tears of insulin. :)

Caffeine can cause insomnia, and lack of sleep is damaging, as is anxiety which caffeine can increase. This study is interesting in purely chemical terms, but in the context of diet, it's useless.

There is also the matter raised jokingly by magpies as to how the caffeine is delivered. Tea, is quite healthy, coffee in moderation is not bad, soda is crap, and the rest is probably from drugs such as excedrin. How many people exercise moderation with chocolate, coffee, and soda?

Like any stimulant, caffeine is addictive and makes people dependent, I know people who cannot even tie their shoelaces if they didn't had a coffee. Or can't get through the afternoon, fall asleep while they are driving and such...

Maybe you have some health issue? Stressed before bedtime? Caffeine before bedtime should not relax you, quite the opposite actually. It induces adrenaline secretion which should not relax you at all...

IIRC a coffee before bedtime actually prevents the body from entering the "rest" state, which can be very harmful in the long run.

Weird

What is "brain rot" and why is it a concern?

"Brain rot" is a term commonly used to describe the degeneration of brain cells, also known as neurodegeneration. This can lead to various neurological disorders, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, which can significantly impact a person's cognitive and motor functions.

What is the mechanism of action of my favorite drug in preventing brain rot?

The mechanism of action of my favorite drug in preventing brain rot may vary depending on the specific drug. However, some common mechanisms include reducing inflammation, promoting the growth of new brain cells, and protecting existing brain cells from damage.

Is my favorite drug effective for preventing all types of brain rot?

While my favorite drug may be effective in preventing some types of brain rot, it may not be effective in preventing all types. Different neurodegenerative diseases may have different underlying causes, and therefore, may require different treatments.

Are there any potential side effects of using my favorite drug to prevent brain rot?

As with any medication, there may be potential side effects when using my favorite drug to prevent brain rot. It is essential to consult with a healthcare professional and carefully follow dosage instructions to minimize the risk of side effects.

Can my favorite drug also reverse brain rot that has already occurred?

Unfortunately, my favorite drug may not be able to reverse brain rot that has already occurred. However, it may slow down the progression of the disease and improve symptoms in some cases.