Your favourite quantum phycisists and why?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Just thought it'd be fun to see which people are regarded as the most intelligent and most important contributers to quantum physics?

Answers and Replies

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
For technical and formal aspects, Dirac.
For interpretational aspects, Bell and Bohm.

pam
P. A. M. Dirac for interpretation as well.
Bohm no. Bell just for one small aspect.

vincentm
Gold Member
Myself....

edit
just for the record, it might be the Googolplexth discussion on that pointless topic.

Last edited:
mine is Jessica Biel

marlon

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, I'll go with humanino. He was also the first person to use "Googolplexth" in a sentence.

Last edited:
I'll go with pam, I'll go with P.A.M. Dirac. He has an equation. Do you?

EL
Science Advisor
I'll go with Emanuel Derman.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'll go with pam, I'll go with P.A.M. Dirac. He has an equation. Do you?
An equation and a notation, no less.

Learning Bell's inequality blew my little mind, way back when. I haven't been the same since.

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I also go with Dirac.

An equation and a notation, no less.
And a monopole, and statistics, and another equation (non-quantum), and ...

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
..., constrained dynamics, "delta function", antiparticles, ...

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fermi. He has an accelerator, a paradox, a problem, a hole, a heap, a statistical distribution, a particle, a Golden Rule, an energy level and a Linux distribution named after him.

Witten?

pam
pam
Fermi. He has an accelerator, a paradox, a problem, a hole, a heap, a statistical distribution, a particle, a Golden Rule, an energy level and a Linux distribution named after him.
and a femtometer.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What statistical distribution? Fermi-Dirac?
Dirac has a video codec named after him, as well as a sea.
(The linux distribution is tied to the accelerator, right?)

Epicurus predicted quantum indeterminism over 2000 years ago (De Rerum Natura 2.216-293).

:biggrin:

Toss up between Planck, Dirac, Einstein (well sort of :wink:) Smolin, Born, Kaku and Feynman. With honourable mentions to Pauli, Heisenberg and Schrödinger of course and in no particular order I can think of.

I wish I could find that photo of the great meeting of minds on QM, because frankly my favourites are all there, but I can't remember all the players off the top of my head.

This is probably the 10th thread asking the same damn question...........it gets old.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What statistical distribution? Fermi-Dirac?
Yes, but, "Fermi function" is almost a household term nowadays! :)
Dirac has a video codec named after him, as well as a sea.
Yeah, but the sea is filled with Fermions, as is the sky above the Dirac sea!
(The linux distribution is tied to the accelerator, right?)
I believe that's right.

This is probably the 10th thread asking the same damn question...........it gets old.
This is probably the second person at least mentionning this fact in this same discussion. No time to read even 19 other messages ?

This is probably the second person at least mentionning this fact in this same discussion. No time to read even 19 other messages ?
Not really. I dont care. I just find it annoying that these threads keep on popping up, over, and over, and over.............................and over.

This and, "I like this girl"..........:rolleyes:

(Actually, Ive read the other 19 threads. So, im not going to read 19 posts in this one).

I just find it annoying that these threads keep on popping up, over, and over, and over.............................and over.
At least for once we agree.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Toss up between Planck, Dirac, Einstein (well sort of :wink:) Smolin, Born, Kaku and Feynman. With honourable mentions to Pauli, Heisenberg and Schrödinger of course and in no particular order I can think of.

I wish I could find that photo of the great meeting of minds on QM, because frankly my favourites are all there, but I can't remember all the players off the top of my head.
This one?
http://photos.aip.org/veritySearch2.jsp?item_id=Einstein%20Albert%20E3&fname=einstein_albert_e3.jpg&title=null&storePublished=Y&color=N&contactID=78 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: