News Your greatest sacrifice for the world

S

Skyhunter

Loren Booda said:
Picture the life that benefits from one's generous work.
All of the life.

I know what you mean mathwonk. I quit smoking 12 years ago, which was a good thing. When I quit however, my metabolism slowed and I gained weight.

3 years ago my BMI was 26.5 and although I was fit and active, I was still overweight. I decided to go vegetarian for this and environmental reasons. It was challenging.

At first I figured that milk, eggs, and textured vegetable protein would meet my nutritional requirements. Also there are now plenty of prepared vegetarian dinners and other foods in the frozen sections of most supermarkets. Between these and dining out I became a vegetarian.

I was still unsure about giving up what I thought to be an essential part of the human diet so I began researching what I should eat to replace meat. What I discovered, which was a profound revelation to me was that not only did I not need meat, but that it was the wrong food to fuel my body with. Like putting kerosene in a sports car. It will run, but it will not run cleanly, and will need a lot more maintenance to keep it running. That is when I decided that it is worth the effort to go vegan.

It does require planning and strategy. Where I live I can bicycle to a farmers market 2 days a week easily, and a third is only 1/2 a mile or so further. There is a Whole Foods, Berkeley Bowl, and soon a Trader Joes. I have no problem getting all the food we need without having to drive anywhere. We also grow some vegetables in the back yard.

Eating all plants means you can generate a lot of compost, so we feed a worm factory and have a compost bin to fertilize the garden with. I am learning about, and beginning to practice, bio intensive agriculture. Agriculture that enriches the topsoil, as opposed to mono-crop agriculture that depletes it.

Fortunately, all the best spices are vegan. I like Mexican spices and can make vegan enchiladas with a homemade mole' that is superb. I make it for a monthly vegan potluck and I never get to bring any back home. :frown:

For the most part I can get everything I need from just eating fruit, nuts, grains, legumes, mushrooms, and vegetables. Omega-3 fats and B-12 are the only nutrients that vegans and vegetarians may not get enough of. I eat Brewers yeast for B-12 and walnuts and flax seeds for Omega-3s. Brewers yeast is great on popcorn.

I am fortunate to live where I do. Most people, even most people in the first world do not have such easy access to fresh organic, locally grown plant foods year round. Changing your diet requires a lifestyle change. Fortunately more and more cities are moving in this direction. All the cities that have agreed to meet the Kyoto benchmarks will be adopting similar strategies to help their citizens adapt their lifestyle toward sustainability. The idea of sustainability is beginning to spread. A large part of a sustainable lifestyle is a plant based diet. As the benefits become obvious more and more people will adopt a plant based diet and lifestyle. I wish everyone could enjoy the delicious, nutritious meals that I do.

Once you make the commitment and figure out how to gather and prepare the fresh whole foods, it becomes second nature. I would never go back to eating flesh. My BMI is now 22.3 and I am enjoying the best health of my life.

It also pleases me that another creature does not need to be slaughtered in order for me to satisfy my appetite.

By going vegan, riding a bicycle, and using public transit, I am decreasing the size of my footprint on the earth. Abundance is everywhere, it is only when we start hoarding that we see shortages. The earth, managed properly, IMO can support all of us comfortably.

The universe is one........ and so are we.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Skyhunter

pcorbett said:
Oh, and I gave $200 to the Bush/Cheney campaign in 2004. Best investment I've ever made.
An investment is not a sacrifice.

Just curious, what are the returns on that investment so far?

P

pcorbett

Skyhunter said:
An investment is not a sacrifice.
You say tomato, I say tomato.

Just curious, what are the returns on that investment so far?
Plenty good on Iraq, if you google up a certain derogatory phrase for our enemy in the ME. Not so good on Lebanon yet. Then again, this might be a peculiar taste for someone who has to see Ground Zero everyday for the next few years or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Skyhunter

pcorbett said:
You say tomato, I say tomato.
You called it an investment, I was just pointing out that the thread is about making sacrifices.

pcorbett said:
Plenty good on Iraq, if you google up a certain derogatory phrase for our enemy in the ME. Not so good on Lebanon yet. Then again, this might be a peculiar taste for someone who has to see Ground Zero everyday for the next few years or so.
Who is our enemy in the ME?

Most consider it to be Iran, and since the new Iraqi government is majority Shia, I don't see how this hurts Iran.

I don't know any derogatory phrases for Iran. But this is off topic.

Donating $400 to the Bush/Cheny Campaign.

Sacrifice

1. Relinquishment of something at less than its presumed value.
2. Something so relinquished.
3. A loss so sustained.

I'd say it was a sacrifice, that's money you'll never see the worth of, but then I'm biased :smile: j/k

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Speaking of definitions of the word sacrifice, I find one in Wiktionary quite interesting:

"Sacrifice" on Wiktionary

Wiktionary said:
4. (Chess) To intentionally give up a piece in order to improve one's position on the board.

Also thought provoking:

Wiktionary said:
6. Give up something extremely valuable in exchange for something else of great importance (NOT implying that the second is of lesser value)
"God sacrificed His only-begotten Son, so that all people might have eternal life."

P

pcorbett

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Donating $400 to the Bush/Cheny Campaign.

Sacrifice

1. Relinquishment of something at less than its presumed value.
2. Something so relinquished.
3. A loss so sustained.

I'd say it was a sacrifice, that's money you'll never see the worth of, but then I'm biased :smile: j/k
Exactly. It's an opportunity cost. And if the Democrats would just go away I wouldn't have felt compelled to eat it.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads