Your thoughts/experiences on hard science grads going the MBA route?

In summary, the individual has a BS in physics with minors in chemistry and math. They considered graduate school in physics but were not interested in teaching. They currently work as an analytical chemist in the lab at a big pharmaceutical company, but are considering pursuing an MBA to work their way up to management. They believe that a combination of a hard science background and an MBA would make them more versatile and marketable to potential employers. They have the opportunity to pursue a part-time MBA at a local state university for free, but are hesitant to pay for a more prestigious MBA. They are also surprised that more science/lab people do not intentionally pursue business/management roles in industry.
samoth1
Background: BS physics, double minors in chem and math, c/o 2008. Started with chem major, but switched to physics for interest/challange. No absolute career goals, but always considered bigpharma as a good place to go. Considered physics grad school, but never that interested in teaching.

Work/Career: Internship in R&D pharma. Currently work in the lab at bigpharma as an analytical chemist -- QC side, not R&D. Enjoy work, but looking at long-term future career goals/possibilities, I think I'd like to work my way up through management.

Now: Considering going MBA route. I'm well aware of the devaluation of the degree (and of degrees in general), but I think that a hard science BS with business/MBA would yield a great degree of versitility and present a rare/interesting combination WRT intersts/skills/abilities, for both employers and myself.

A part-time MBA at the local state university would be basically free thruogh work. The state flagship is much more prestigious, but I'm not going to Wall Street, nor am I willing to pay $60K for an MBA.

Thoughts or opinions on this? I'm finding it rare for science/lab people to intentionally pursue the business/management side in industry... but I know PF's got to have some. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
samoth1 said:
Thoughts or opinions on this? I'm finding it rare for science/lab people to intentionally pursue the business/management side in industry... but I know PF's got to have some. :D

One thing that is surprising is that it's quite common for science/lab people to go into business/management but once they do so they tend not to post in forums like this.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing an MBA after obtaining a hard science degree?

One of the main benefits of pursuing an MBA after a hard science degree is the opportunity to develop a well-rounded skill set. Many hard science graduates possess strong analytical and technical skills, but an MBA program can provide training in leadership, communication, and business strategy. This can make them more competitive in the job market and open up new career opportunities.

2. How can an MBA complement a hard science background?

An MBA can complement a hard science background by providing a broader perspective on how scientific innovations can be applied in a business setting. This can help graduates to develop a better understanding of the market, customer needs, and the financial implications of their work. Additionally, an MBA can also provide training in project management, which can be useful in leading research and development teams.

3. Are there any drawbacks to pursuing an MBA after a hard science degree?

One potential drawback is the time and financial commitment required to complete an MBA program. This may delay career progression or require taking on student loans. Additionally, some employers may view an MBA as less relevant for hard science roles and may prefer candidates with more technical degrees or experience.

4. How can a hard science graduate prepare for an MBA program?

Before pursuing an MBA, it can be helpful for hard science graduates to gain some business experience, either through internships or working in a scientific role in a business setting. This can provide a foundation and context for the business concepts they will learn in an MBA program. Additionally, developing strong communication and leadership skills can also be beneficial.

5. Can an MBA lead to a successful career in a scientific field?

While an MBA may not be a traditional route for hard science graduates, it can lead to a successful career in a scientific field. The business skills and knowledge gained through an MBA can make graduates more competitive for management positions or roles that require a combination of technical and business expertise. Additionally, an MBA can also open up opportunities in fields such as consulting or entrepreneurship where a strong business acumen is highly valued.