1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your thoughts/experiences on hard science grads going the MBA route?

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    Background: BS physics, double minors in chem and math, c/o 2008. Started with chem major, but switched to physics for interest/challange. No absolute career goals, but always considered bigpharma as a good place to go. Considered physics grad school, but never that interested in teaching.

Work/Career: Internship in R&D pharma. Currently work in the lab at bigpharma as an analytical chemist -- QC side, not R&D. Enjoy work, but looking at long-term future career goals/possibilities, I think I'd like to work my way up through management.

Now: Considering going MBA route. I'm well aware of the devaluation of the degree (and of degrees in general), but I think that a hard science BS with business/MBA would yield a great degree of versitility and present a rare/interesting combination WRT intersts/skills/abilities, for both employers and myself.

A part-time MBA at the local state university would be basically free thruogh work. The state flagship is much more prestigious, but I'm not going to Wall Street, nor am I willing to pay $60K for an MBA.

Thoughts or opinions on this? I'm finding it rare for science/lab people to intentionally pursue the business/management side in industry... but I know PF's gotta have some. :D

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2
    One thing that is surprising is that it's quite common for science/lab people to go into business/management but once they do so they tend not to post in forums like this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook