Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

YouTube channel Life on Enceladus

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm new. :biggrin:

I'm currently studying A-levels, and I'm going to study astrophysics at uni, so I may be on this website quite often asking questions in the future!

Secondly, I have a question. Why is there LIQUID water under Enceladus' surface? Is it similar to Europa around Jupiter where there are frictional forces involved? Also, what does everyone here make of the chances of there being life under the surface of Enceladus? And how evolved it would be?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2013 #2
    Welcome to the forum, the water under Enceladus is due to tidal stresses of its orbit around Saturn. The stress generates friction from tidal bulging. Its unknown whether this will allow conditions for life, liquid water isn't the only needed condition. There is a remote chance microscopic life forms may be present. However that is only a possibility, at this point its speculation.

4. Jul 22, 2013 #3
    Has it not been discovered though that simple organic molecules were being emitted by the cryovolcanoes on its surface?

I wonder perhaps when we get a clearer idea on the situation...

5. Jul 22, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Organic molecules can form in space, too, it is not so surprising that they can form on planets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook