What is the Yukawa interaction and why isn't it part of the standard model?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AleksanderPhy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interaction Yukawa
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
AleksanderPhy
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Hello There I may have some mistakes so correct me when I wrote something wrong.My question is:what's the yukawa's interaction and why it is not part of standard model?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I remembered having seen that once it was to compute the Fourier transform of the coulomb potential it is like $$V(r)=\frac{e^{-ar}}{r}$$ then you put a to zero after the transform.
 
Thank you very much(;But what is α
PS! Am I correct that r is radius?
 
AleksanderPhy said:
Thank you very much(;But what is α
PS! Am I correct that r is radius?
Right.
a is just some adjustable parameter. There are other threads on the topic too maybe worth to look at them.
 
The Yukawa potential was used early on to model the strong force I believe. The exponentially decaying term gave rise to an exponential weakening of the force (strong force is short distance). But we have a better picture now of the strong force (what with the gluons and stuff). The Yukawa potential itself is just a potential with some functional force, whether nature conforms to this picture is a separate issue.