Z[x]/(1-x)/(x^{p-1}+ +x+1) = Z/pZ ?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rukawakaede
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
rukawakaede
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Hi, could anyone solve my confusion?

Let [itex]p[/itex] be a prime and let [itex]x=\zeta_p[/itex] to be a primitive pth root of unity.

How could we conclude

[tex]\frac{\mathbf{Z}[x]/(1-x)}{(x^{p-1}+\cdots+x+1)}=\mathbf{Z}/p\mathbf{Z}=\mathbb{F}_p ?[/tex]

This should be obvious but it seems that I missed something. Could anyone help?Am I correct to infer that if we want to force [itex]1-x = 0[/itex], i.e. [itex]x = 1[/itex] and hence [itex]\mathbf{Z}[x]/(1-x)=\mathbf{Z}[/itex]. So [itex]\frac{\mathbf{Z}[x]/(1-x)}{(x^{p-1}+\cdots+x+1)}=Z/(p)[/itex] and therefore gives the result?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the problem reads Z[x]/(1-x)(x^{p-1}+...+x+1) = Z/pZ and
not Z[x]/(1-x)/(x^{p-2}+...+x+1) = Z/pZ ?
 
Eynstone said:
Are you sure the problem reads Z[x]/(1-x)(x^{p-1}+...+x+1) = Z/pZ and
not Z[x]/(1-x)/(x^{p-2}+...+x+1) = Z/pZ ?

I am pretty sure it is Z[x]/(1-x)(x^{p-1}+...+x+1) = Z/pZ

it would be good that you write out why you think it is not the case.