Is $\text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$ isomorphic to $\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the isomorphism between $\text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$ and $\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}$, and the difficulty of explicitly demonstrating a generator for $(\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$. Some potential functions are proposed, but it is suggested to use an extra step through $\mathbb{Z}_p^{\times}$ to determine the desired function.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that $\text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$ is isomorphic to $\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}$.

The group $\mathbb{Z}_p$ is cylcic and is generated by one element. The possible generators are $\{1,2,\dots , p-1\}$.

Each automorphism maps each of the elements of the set $\{1,2,\dots , p-1\}$ to one of the elements $\{1,2,\dots , p-1\}$. So, we have the function $f_m(x)=mx\pmod p, \ 1\leq m\leq p-1$, right?

To show that $\text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$ is isomorphic to $\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}$ do we define the function $$h:\text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_{p-1} \text{ with } \\ f_m\mapsto (m-1)\pmod {p-1} , \ 1\leq m\leq p-1$$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope.

You have the functions $f_m$ correct, but you have the isomorphism wrong.

To see this suppose $p = 5$ and consider $m = 2$.

Then $f_2(x) = 2x$ (mod $5$).

Now $(f_2 \circ f_2)(x) = 2(2x) = 4x$ (mod $5$). So $f_2 \circ f_2 = f_4$.

Under your mapping we have $f_2 \circ f_2 = f_4 \mapsto [3]_4$.

However $f_2 \mapsto [1]_5$ so:

$h(f_2 \circ f_2) = h(f_4) = [3]_4 \neq [2]_4 = [1]_4 + [1]_4 = h(f_2) + h(f_2)$.

You may find it easier to do the reverse isomorphism:

$\phi: \Bbb Z_{p-1} \to \text{Aut}(Z_p)$.

(Hint: show $\text{Aut}(Z_p) \cong (\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$).

One caveat: showing $(\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$ is cyclic is a non-trivial task, as explicitly demonstrating a generator is known to be a "hard problem". All the proofs I know are "non-constructive".

Deveno said:
Nope.

You have the functions $f_m$ correct, but you have the isomorphism wrong.

To see this suppose $p = 5$ and consider $m = 2$.

Then $f_2(x) = 2x$ (mod $5$).

Now $(f_2 \circ f_2)(x) = 2(2x) = 4x$ (mod $5$). So $f_2 \circ f_2 = f_4$.

Under your mapping we have $f_2 \circ f_2 = f_4 \mapsto [3]_4$.

However $f_2 \mapsto [1]_5$ so:

$h(f_2 \circ f_2) = h(f_4) = [3]_4 \neq [2]_4 = [1]_4 + [1]_4 = h(f_2) + h(f_2)$.

Ah ok... (Thinking)
Deveno said:
You may find it easier to do the reverse isomorphism:

$\phi: \Bbb Z_{p-1} \to \text{Aut}(Z_p)$.

Do we consider then the function $$h: \mathbb{Z}_{p-1}\rightarrow \text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p) \text{ with } \\ (m-1)\pmod {p-1}\mapsto f_m , \ 1\leq m\leq p-1$$ ? (Wondering)
Deveno said:
(Hint: show $\text{Aut}(Z_p) \cong (\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$).

Why do we have to show that? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do we consider then the function $$h: \mathbb{Z}_{p-1}\rightarrow \text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p) \text{ with } \\ (m-1)\bmod {p-1}\mapsto f_m , \ 1\leq m\leq p-1$$ ? (Wondering)

I'm afraid not. (Shake)
Note that $f_m\circ f_n = f_{m\times n}$.
That is, the composition of a function with arguments $m$ and $n$ maps to a product $m\times n$, which matches $\mathbb Z_p^\times$ instead of $\mathbb Z_{p-1}$.
Fortunately, those groups are isomorphic. (Nerd)

mathmari said:

That is the isomorphism I like Serena refers to in his post.

As I mentioned before, it's non-trivial to show that $(\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$ is cyclic (it's pretty clear it is a group, namely the Group of units of the ring $\Bbb Z_p$ (which is actually a field)).

For any *specific* prime $p$, one can do this by exhibiting a generator: for example $[3]_4$ is a generator of $(\Bbb Z_5)^{\times} = \{[1]_5,[2]_5,[3]_5,[4]_5\}$ (under the operation of multiplication modulo 5), since:

$[3]_5^2 = [9]_5 = [4]_5$ (so $[3]_5$ does not have order 2; as it is not the identity ($[1]_5$), it also does not have order 1)

$[3]_5^3 = [27]_5 = [2]_5$ (so $[3]_5$ does not have order 3)

$[3]_5^4 = [81]_5 = [1]_5$, so $[3]_5$ has order $4$, is thus a generator, and $(\Bbb Z_5)$ is cyclic (of order $4$).

So here is one possible isomorphism from $((\Bbb Z_5)^{\times},\ast) \to (\Bbb Z_4,+)$:

$[1]_5 \mapsto [0]_4$
$[3]_5 \mapsto [1]_4$
$[4]_5 \mapsto [2]_4$
$[2]_5 \mapsto [3]_4$

Essentially, we are mapping $[3^k]_5 \mapsto [k]_4$.

Note this is not just "subtracting one", it's a little trickier.

Unfortunately, it is a LOT harder to try to figure out what a generator might be for the group of units of $\Bbb Z_p$ for an arbitrary $p$. So some cleverness is required.

I got stuck right now... Can we not show immediately that $\text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$ is isomorphic to $\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}$ without using $\mathbb{Z}_p^{\times}$ ? (Wondering)

Do you know what a "discrete log" is?

Unless you are familiar with this type of function, showing the isomorphism directly is hard to explain.

I think we can turn it around and pick:
$$h:\mathbb Z_{p-1} \to \text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$$
That way we don't need a discrete log, but just a power.

It means we need to find $h$ such that:
$$h(m+n) = h(m) \circ h(n)$$

I would still recommend putting in an extra step through $\mathbb{Z}_p^{\times}$ to figure out which function we need.
That is:
$$\mathbb Z_{p-1} \overset{h_2}\longrightarrow\mathbb Z_{p}^\times \overset{h_1}\longrightarrow \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_{p}) $$
with $h_1$ such that $h_1(m\times n) = h_1(m) \circ h_1(n)$ and with $h_2$ such that $h_2(m + n) = h_2(m) \times h_2(n)$.
Then $h = h_1 \circ h_2$ is the function we're looking for. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:

It means we need to find $h$ such that:
$$h(m+n) = h(m) \circ h(n)$$

I would still recommend putting in an extra step through $\mathbb{Z}_p^{\times}$ to figure out which function we need.
That is:
$$\mathbb Z_{p-1} \overset{h_2}\longrightarrow\mathbb Z_{p}^\times \overset{h_1}\longrightarrow \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_{p}) $$
with $h_1$ such that $h_1(m\times n) = h_1(m) \circ h_1(n)$ and with $h_2$ such that $h_2(m + n) = h_2(m) \times h_2(n)$.

See post #2. (Wink)

We have that $(\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$ is cyclic with generator, say $g$.

Could you give me some hints you we could prove that $(\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$ is cyclic? (Wondering)

Then each element can be written in the form $g^i$ for some $i$.
I like Serena said:

So can we define the following functions $$h_2: \mathbb Z_{p-1}\rightarrow Z_{p}^\times \\ m\mapsto g^m$$ and $$h_1: Z_{p}^\times\rightarrow \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_{p}) \\ g^m\mapsto f_{g^m}$$ or not? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
So can we define the following functions $$h_2: \mathbb Z_{p-1}\rightarrow Z_{p}^\times \\ m\mapsto g^m$$ and $$h_1: Z_{p}^\times\rightarrow \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_{p}) \\ g^m\mapsto f_{g^m}$$ or not? (Wondering)

Would we have to show that $h_1$ and $h_2$ are homomorphism? Would their composition be also an homomorphism? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have that $(\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$ is cyclic with generator, say $g$.

Could you give me some hints you we could prove that $(\Bbb Z_p)^{\times}$ is cyclic?

It says so here.
As Deveno already said, the proof is not trivial.
Perhaps it's in your course material? (Wondering)
Then each element can be written in the form $g^i$ for some $i$.

So can we define the following functions $$h_2: \mathbb Z_{p-1}\rightarrow Z_{p}^\times \\ m\mapsto g^m$$ and $$h_1: Z_{p}^\times\rightarrow \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_{p}) \\ g^m\mapsto f_{g^m}$$ or not?

Yep. That's it!
Can you prove that it's an isomorphism? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Would we have to show that $h_1$ and $h_2$ are homomorphism? Would their composition be also an homomorphism?

Yes, we should show they are homomorphisms.
And we should show that the composition of 2 homomorphisms is a homomorphism as well. (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
Can you prove that it's an isomorphism? (Wondering)
Yes, we should show they are homomorphisms.
And we should show that the composition of 2 homomorphisms is a homomorphism as well. (Sweating)

We have that $h_2$ is 1-1 because each element of $\mathbb Z_{p-1}$ is mapped to an unique element of $Z_{p}^\times$.
Furthermore, $h_2$ is onto because for each element of $Z_{p}^\times$ there is an element of $\mathbb Z_{p-1}$ that is mapped to that. Similar for $h_1$:
We have that $h_1$ is 1-1 because each element of $Z_{p}^\times$ is mapped to an unique element of $\text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_{p})$.
Furthermore, $h_1$ is onto because for each element of $ \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_{p})$ there is an element of $Z_{p}^\times$ that is mapped to that. Is this correct? (Wondering) How can we show that their composition is also 1-1 and onto? (Wondering)

We have the following:
$$h_2(m+n)=g^{m+n}=g^mg^n=h_2(m)h_2(n)$$
So $h_2$ is an homomorphism.

$$h_1(g^m\cdot g^n)=h_1(g^{m+n})=f_{g^{m+n}}$$

How could we continue? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is this correct? (Wondering)
Yep. (Nod)

How can we show that their composition is also 1-1 and onto? (Wondering)
Each element in $\text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_p)$ has exactly 1 original under $h_1$ in $(\mathbb Z_p)^\times$ and in turn that original has again exactly 1 original under $h_2$ in $\mathbb Z_{p-1}$.
Therefore each element in $\text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_p)$ has exactly 1 original under the composition $h$ in $\mathbb Z_{p-1}$.
Thus $h$ is bijective. (Thinking)

More generally, the composition of 2 bijections is a bijection. (Nerd)
$$h_1(g^m\cdot g^n)=h_1(g^{m+n})=f_{g^{m+n}}$$

How could we continue? (Wondering)

Let's simplify it a bit.
For any $a,b \in (\mathbb Z_p)^\times$ and any $x \in \mathbb Z_p$ we have:
$$h_1(a\times b)(x)=f_{a \times b}(x) = (ab)x = a(bx) = f_a(f_b(x)) = (h_1(a) \circ h_1(b))(x)$$
Therefore:
$$h_1(a\times b) = h_1(a) \circ h_1(b)$$That leaves proving that the composition of 2 homomorphisms is a homomorphism. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Each element in $\text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_p)$ has exactly 1 original under $h_1$ in $(\mathbb Z_p)^\times$ and in turn that original has again exactly 1 original under $h_2$ in $\mathbb Z_{p-1}$.
Therefore each element in $\text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_p)$ has exactly 1 original under the composition $h$ in $\mathbb Z_{p-1}$.
Thus $h$ is bijective. (Thinking)

More generally, the composition of 2 bijections is a bijection. (Nerd)

Let's simplify it a bit.
For any $a,b \in (\mathbb Z_p)^\times$ and any $x \in \mathbb Z_p$ we have:
$$h_1(a\times b)(x)=f_{a \times b}(x) = (ab)x = a(bx) = f_a(f_b(x)) = (h_1(a) \circ h_1(b))(x)$$
Therefore:
$$h_1(a\times b) = h_1(a) \circ h_1(b)$$That leaves proving that the composition of 2 homomorphisms is a homomorphism. (Thinking)
Ah ok... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:

When we pick $h:\mathbb Z_{p-1} \to \text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$, could we show that the two groups are isomorphic to each other immediately? (Wondering)

Or is the composition necessary? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
When we pick $h:\mathbb Z_{p-1} \to \text{Aut}(\mathbb{Z}_p)$, could we show that the two groups are isomorphic to each other immediately? (Wondering)

Or is the composition necessary? (Wondering)

Only if we would have a proposition to do it with and I don't think we do.
As it is, we need the non-trivial proposition that $\mathbb Z_{p-1} \simeq \mathbb Z_p^\times$, while $\mathbb Z_p^\times \simeq \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_p)$ is pretty straight forward.
So we could define the isomorphism directly, but we can't prove that it's an isomorphism directly. (Thinking)

1. What is the purpose of defining a function?

Defining a function is useful because it allows us to organize and reuse blocks of code in a program. It also increases the readability and maintainability of our code.

2. How do we define a function?

To define a function, we use the keyword "function" followed by the function name, a set of parentheses, and a set of curly braces. Inside the curly braces, we write the code that we want the function to execute when called.

3. What is the difference between defining and calling a function?

Defining a function means creating the function and specifying the code that it will execute when called. Calling a function means using the function name followed by parentheses to execute the code inside the function.

4. Can a function have multiple parameters?

Yes, a function can have multiple parameters, which are variables that are used to pass values into the function when it is called. These parameters can be used within the function's code to perform different tasks.

5. Do functions always have a return value?

No, functions do not always have a return value. The return value is specified with the keyword "return" and is used to send a value back to where the function was called. If a function does not have a return statement, it will return undefined by default.