1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero Velocty is Constant Velocity?

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the Principles of Physics book chapter two in checkpoint 2 claims that If velocity of object is zero its a constant velocity.I am confused cause v=0 means theres no motion.Without motion we cant talk about constant velocity.I am confused.(The equation of object is (x=-5) and the exact question
    The following equations give the position x(t) of a particle in four situations.... a)x=-5
    In which sitaution is the velocity v of the particle constant ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am confused.I dont know what to do

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2
    The constant velocity means that [itex] \dot{v} = 0, [/itex] and so [itex] v=0 [/itex] automatically satisfy this relation. So, we can say the zero velocity is constant velocity.

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

This is the difficulty of making a mathematical statement in a spoken language: it can be interpreted in the way of common phrases or implied shadings of meaning. In common speech we hear the phrase "moving with constant velocity" and think "it must be moving". This is not the case in mathematics: Zero is a perfectly good value for a constant, too.

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4
    ok I understand thank you guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted