Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zinc fingers and oxidative DNA damage

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    Can zinc fingers be used to solve the oxidative DNA damage problem? theoretically?

"By attaching zinc fingers which determine where transcription factors bind to endonuclease, which break DNA strands, homologous recombination can be induced to correct & replace defective/undesired DNA sequences"
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
  4. May 13, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just shortened the quoted part above now that you have provided the link to the full article for people to follow.
  5. May 13, 2008 #4
    Okay...do you think zinc fingers could make it so that oxidative DNA damage is no longer a problem, though?
  6. May 14, 2008 #5
    I mean if they were used for gene correction, *could* zinc fingers solve the oxidative DNA damage problem? why/why not?
  7. May 15, 2008 #6
    I mean could nanoparticles or something be used to help the zinc fingers target genes?
  8. May 16, 2008 #7
    Would zinc fingers only help with fixing DNA through homologous recombination?
  9. Jun 3, 2008 #8
    Um ignore all my other questions but I did have these so if you answered them that would be appreciated

Could non-enzymatic DNA repair (In combination with overexpressed DNA damage enzymes or something) solve the oxidative DNA damage problem? Why/why not?

Also is phenylpropanoid glycoside enzymatic or non enzymatic DNA repair?

And does DNA repair that's not in non-homologous places always require healthy undamaged DNA to be able to fix oxidative damage?
  10. Jun 5, 2008 #9
    What repairs the DNA when an incorrect base is inserted? Is there something that can/will always be used to do that ie if it's overexpressed or something?
  11. Jun 5, 2008 #10
    it won't let me edit, but

I thought they made nanochips or something that allow you to look inside cells? Could you look inside the cells, and as a result be able to correct bases that are incorrect in cells?
  12. Jun 21, 2008 #11
    This is my only question, you can ignore all the other ones, sorry I can't delete the other ones

Would there be a way to overexpress DNA repair enzymes to solve the oxidative DNA problem (or solve it as much as possible) in a way that wouldn't result in more problems with mismatched bases as a result of that?

Could binding ligands here http://old.iupac.org/news/prize/2002/sando.html be used to directly repair DNA? Could mismatch binding ligands here recognize mismatched bases better than our own natural enzymes in any way, hypothetically, if so in what ways? thanks
  13. Jun 22, 2008 #12
    never mind the question about the ligands my question is just about overexpression and mismatched bases (the questions in the above post) thanks I really appreciate the answer
  14. Jun 22, 2008 #13
    Possibly. Even if it's achieved under laboratory conditions, it's not quite the same as bringing a therapeutic product to market which needs to be validated for regular use in humans.

It's hard to say without more research and testing. Has there been any followup work by the authors and/or company mentioned in the article?
  15. Jun 23, 2008 #14
    I don't remember where I read that overexpressing DNA damage repair enzymes causes a higher amount of mismatched bases but my perception at the moment is that they do
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?