View Single Post
zoobyshoe
Nov10-12, 02:37 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I have to disagree strongly. Cognitive therapy can not change a neurological problem. The OP has already stated that he has a diagnosed condition that he doesn't wish to discuss. I would not dismiss his problems as simple inability to handle his emotions.

You cannot talk your brain into changing. If you don't have a neurological problem, then medicine won't help, so you can try therapy. If your problem is neurological, then medicine will help. If you still want to talk to someone, that's optional.
First off, there's no neurological condition called "depression". It's a psychiatric disorder, specifically, an affective disorder. It's not accurate to speak of "neurological depression". A neurologist would send you to a psychiatrist if your only symptom were depression. The OP has that plus some other psychiatric ("mental") dx, so none of this is neurological.

Secondly, I am not suggesting he eschew meds in favor of CT, but that, since he's already got the appointments set up, CT is what he can look into in the meantime, which is the strategy he asked for.

I have a diagnosis of "Major Depression", myself, and have variously tried several anti-depressants, none of which made a dent in it. Cognitive Therapy worked wonders. The San Diego County Mental Health system uses it in all their group therapy sessions (which, of course, are done in conjunction with meds).
Zooby, you're talking about someone going through emotional/situational depression. Where a change of situation or change in attitude toward the situation is all that is needed.
No, Cognitive Therapy was developed for people with severe, lifelong dysfunctional depression.