OCD and Depression: Unraveling the Connection

• Thread starter Shakir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depression
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's experience with Major Depressive Disorder and their questions about its causes and effects. The individual has found some relief through treatment but still experiences symptoms. The conversation also touches on the link between depression and OCD and the potential for both to occur together. The expert advises seeking professional help for a better understanding of the individual's specific case.
Shakir
Hello PF

First a bit about my illness. I have been suffering from Major Depressive Disorder since I was 18 (I am 23 now).

The first few years were unbelievably painful and difficult to carry on, and very risky and dangerous (too many suicidal thoughts, sometimes 100+ suicidal thoughts a day).
Although at some point I attempted to end that sad painful meaningless life, I could not, I had to come back for the people who love and care for me and thinking about my duties and responsibilities towards them and society.

Fortunately I got treatment, passed those scary days and now have NO intention to give up my life. Although I am a lot better now and much recovered but depression is still there and does not seem to go away. It's difficult, I still suffer, but I got used to it.

Okay, here are my questions :
1. What causes depression?
2. What happens inside the brain of a person suffering from depression?
3. Is depression linked with OCD? I developed OCD few months prior to my depression. I have a strong feeling my OCD someway lead to depression.
4. Does depression totally go away?

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and Logical Dog
Biology news on Phys.org
I am not a professional in this field of course. But just as a fellow human being, I congratulate you on overcoming as you seem to have done. You seem to have triumphed, with some treatment, over your worst depression.

Please take care of yourself. Realize that you are not alone, and always seek help if you need it.

Best wishes!

Likes Shakir
Thanks, @Aufbauwerk 2045 .

There is not much more to say. For short:
Shakir said:
1. What causes depression?
Nobody knows for sure.
2. What happens inside the brain of a person suffering from depression?
There are several potential causes and also several partly connected neurological processes involved.
3. Is depression linked with OCD? I developed OCD few months prior to my depression. I have a strong feeling my OCD someway lead to depression.
It can be linked. That one causes the other cannot be proven. But they occasionally come in pairs. E.g. Prozac can be prescribed in both cases.
4. Does depression totally go away?
This depends on causes and treatment. Both is possible.

This is a vast field of research of which we probably don't have the expertise to talk about in a qualified manner. The more as there are no final results as of today. In any case, I definitely advice you to consult a doctor and ask him about it, because he can better tell what's it about in your special case and prescribe you a appropriate drugs.

Thread closed.

Likes berkeman, Shakir, Evo and 1 other person

1. What is the link between OCD and depression?

OCD and depression are two distinct mental health disorders, but they often coexist in individuals. Studies have shown that approximately 1 in 3 people with OCD also experience depression at some point in their lives. This suggests that there may be a biological or genetic connection between the two disorders.

2. Can OCD cause depression?

While there is no direct causation, the symptoms of OCD can significantly impact an individual's daily life and lead to feelings of hopelessness and despair, which are common symptoms of depression. Additionally, the constant need to perform rituals and obsessive thoughts can be emotionally draining and contribute to the development of depression.

3. How are OCD and depression treated?

Treatment for OCD and depression often involves a combination of medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are commonly prescribed for both disorders and have shown to be effective in reducing symptoms. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is also a commonly used therapy for both OCD and depression, as it helps individuals learn coping strategies and challenge negative thoughts.

4. Is there a difference between OCD-related depression and general depression?

There is a slight difference between OCD-related depression and general depression. Individuals with OCD-related depression often experience more guilt, anxiety, and shame related to their OCD symptoms. They may also have a greater fear of being judged or ridiculed for their thoughts and behaviors. However, the treatment approaches for both types of depression are similar.

5. Can treating OCD also help with depression?

Yes, addressing and treating OCD symptoms can also have a positive impact on depression. As individuals learn to manage their OCD symptoms, they may experience a decrease in feelings of hopelessness and despair. Additionally, some antidepressant medications used to treat depression can also be effective in reducing OCD symptoms.