View Single Post
zoobyshoe
Nov10-12, 05:53 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
You have no way of knowing if his depression is not related to neurological problems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16612216

He did say he had another diagnosis.
He specifically said he had another "mental" diagnosis. Therefore there's no reason to start speculating about a neurological cause.

My own depression could very likely be neurological because the co-morbidity of psychiatric depression with seizures is extremely high, around 50%. Regardless, Cognitive Therapy turned out to be an extremely effective way for me to manage it.
I didn't say there was a neurological condition called "depression". You should be more careful when you read and when you reply.
Believe me, I read what you wrote carefully:

Quote Quote by Evo
If you don't have a neurological problem, then medicine won't help, so you can try therapy.
This clearly associates all non-situational depression with a neurological problem. In fact, though, the bulk of people being prescribed meds by psychiatrists for depression are not considered to have a neurological problem.

The effectiveness of Cognitive Therapy is independent of the cause of the depression. That's one of it's distinguishing features: it targets the here and now manifestations, not the causes.