View Single Post
mickyfitz13
Nov16-12, 08:43 AM
P: 9
Quote Quote by mfb View Post
Alpha particles at which energy? They usually come from nuclear reactions and have an energy of ~MeV. They are way quicker than your gas and won't be influenced by its temperature (~40 meV). Before they reach thermal energy, they capture electrons and stop being charged.

Alpha particles are stable (assuming no proton decay, but that would have a timescale of >1030 years).
I'm not talking about any specific energies at which they are released by, could be any energy, my logic is if these alpha particles were in a box from which they could maintain whatever energy they were released with and the box was heated up uniformly (to which the alpha particles could not escape) would they gain energy from that, there are no electrons in this environment....it's a vacuum free from air resistance or anything that would lower the energy of the alpha particles....

But then i was thinking as i walked home there....the alpha particles don't have electrons, generally when anything is given energy up it's the electrons that react in a form of a release of a photon in the form of Planck's energy equation [itex]E=\hbar ω[/itex]....since alpha particles don't have electrons, they might not be affected....i still think all particles should be subject to energy changes when the temperature changes....isn't that how they simulated the Bose-Einstein effect of bosons in the lowest possible states....by cooling them down to the Bose critical temperature to lower the uncertainty of energy of the boson in that state....i could be completely wrong....