What are these directional energetic particles?

In summary, the tracks observed in the condensation cloud chamber are believed to be muons, which are high-energy particles that can easily penetrate the width of the chamber. However, their orientation is consistently parallel to the N/S compass axis. To determine if these are indeed muons, the charge can be tested using an applied magnetic field. The average lifetime of 2.2 ms multiplied by the speed of light was previously thought to be a reliable method, but recent research on time dilation has shown that this method is oversimplified. Instead, atmospheric muons traveling at high speeds can explain their longer trails and apparent longer half-lives.
Kosdon3200
TL;DR Summary
In addition to the usual alpha and beta particles visible in my condensation cloud chamber, I see occasional tracks that seem highly energetic -they easily penetrate the entire width of the cloud chamber (10-12 inches) going in one side and out the other. What are they?
In addition to the usual alpha and beta particles visible in my condensation cloud chamber, I see occasional tracks that seem highly energetic -they easily penetrate the entire width of the cloud chamber (10-12 inches) going in one side and out the other. More mysteriously, their orientation is almost always of a vector parallel to the N/S compass axis. I am trying to determine if these are muons... but my understanding of muons is that they are too short lived to make such long trails. What are they and why the consistent vector?

Here's a link to what I've described above:

Likes Paul Colby and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
You could possibly test for charge, using an applied magnetic field?

Kosdon3200 said:
but my understanding of muons is that they are too short lived to make such long trails.

Why do you think that? What is the muon lifetime? How fast do you think they are going? How far will they go in that time?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think that? What is the muon lifetime? How fast do you think they are going? How far will they go in that time?
Thanks for the question. My original thought process was to take the average lifetime of 2.2 ms multiplied by the speed of light, but as I learned through some great writing about this very topic my method was overly simplified. See here:

Einsteins Relativity In The Palm Of Your Hand

The 'well known' effect of time dilation on atmospheric muons accounts for the fact that they penetrate much further into the atmosphere than would be expected. Measurements of muon flux at various heights on mountains show a very significant effect on their apparent half lives as they are traveling at speeds not far short of c.

1. What are directional energetic particles?

Directional energetic particles are high-energy particles that have a specific direction of motion. These particles can be found in space, such as cosmic rays, or can be created by man-made sources, such as particle accelerators.

2. How are directional energetic particles produced?

Directional energetic particles are produced through a variety of processes, such as nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, and collisions between particles. They can also be produced by natural sources, such as the sun, or by human activities, such as nuclear power plants.

3. What are the effects of directional energetic particles on humans?

The effects of directional energetic particles on humans depend on the type and energy of the particles. High-energy particles can cause damage to cells and DNA, leading to health issues such as cancer. They can also disrupt electronic devices and communication systems.

4. How are directional energetic particles studied?

Scientists study directional energetic particles through various methods, including using instruments on satellites and spacecraft, conducting experiments in particle accelerators, and analyzing data from cosmic ray detectors. They also use computer simulations to better understand the behavior of these particles.

5. Can directional energetic particles be harnessed for energy?

While directional energetic particles have a lot of energy, it is currently not feasible to harness them for energy production. The particles are difficult to contain and control, and the technology to convert their energy into usable forms is still in early stages of development.