Particle interactions with matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of ionizing matter through the interaction of electromagnetic photons and the release of heat. It also compares this process to ionization caused by heavily charged particles, such as alpha particles and protons. The energy for ionization comes from the interaction with the photon, and comparing different ionizing particle types is a reasonable topic.
Mahavir
Hello,

Currently studying electromagnetic radiation and ionisation and a bit stuck on a concept. From what I think I've understood, an electromagnetic photon enters matter, and if the energy is > 10eV it will displace an electron causing it to ionise (and therefore moving out of the atom). This secondary electron will then collide with other atoms within the matter causing further ionisations and excitements of the matter. This entire process continues until the electron runs out of energy. All this also releases heat. Is this correct?

Secondly, my textbook is also comparing this to 'heavily charged particles' such as alpha particles and protons. I'm trying to understand why this is being discussed in this context. Is it because of the notion of alpha decay that is loosely related?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mahavir said:
From what I think I've understood, an electromagnetic photon enters matter, and if the energy is > 10eV it will displace an electron causing it to ionise (and therefore moving out of the atom).
That is a possible reaction but usually not the only option, and it can happen at a bit lower energies as well (material-dependent).
Mahavir said:
This secondary electron will then collide with other atoms within the matter causing further ionisations and excitements of the matter.
Only if it gets sufficient energy to do so.
Mahavir said:
All this also releases heat.
Sure. Depending on the material you can also get some light, sound (microscopic, nothing to hear) or similar things.

Mahavir said:
Secondly, my textbook is also comparing this to 'heavily charged particles' such as alpha particles and protons. I'm trying to understand why this is being discussed in this context. Is it because of the notion of alpha decay that is loosely related?
Alpha decay is something completely different, but the emitted alpha particles (=helium nuclei) moving through matter cause ionization as well.

Thank you so much for your reply! I just have a few follow-up questions, if I may.

mfb said:
Only if it gets sufficient energy to do so.

Right. So, does this energy come from the interaction with the photon?

mfb said:
Alpha decay is something completely different, but the emitted alpha particles (=helium nuclei) moving through matter cause ionization as well.

So, in your opinion, do you think this is why it could be discussing this? Is it common for light particles (e.g. electrons) and heavily charged particles to be compared?

Mahavir said:
So, does this energy come from the interaction with the photon?
Sure.
Mahavir said:
So, in your opinion, do you think this is why it could be discussing this? Is it common for light particles (e.g. electrons) and heavily charged particles to be compared?
I don't know your textbook. Maybe.
Comparing ionization for different ionizing particle types looks reasonable.

Likes Mahavir
mfb said:
Sure.I don't know your textbook. Maybe.
Comparing ionization for different ionizing particle types looks reasonable.

Thanks a lot for your replies! You've really helped me out.

1. What are particle interactions with matter?

Particle interactions with matter refer to the ways in which tiny particles, such as atoms and subatomic particles, interact and affect the behavior of larger objects or substances. These interactions can involve forces, energy transfer, or changes in the structure or properties of matter.

2. What are the different types of particle interactions with matter?

There are four main types of particle interactions with matter: electromagnetic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and gravitational. These interactions vary in strength and are responsible for different phenomena, such as chemical bonding, nuclear reactions, and gravitational attraction.

3. How do particles interact with matter?

Particles interact with matter through the exchange of energy and forces. For example, electromagnetic interactions involve the exchange of photons, while strong nuclear interactions involve the exchange of gluons. These interactions can result in changes in the motion, structure, or properties of the matter involved.

4. What factors affect particle interactions with matter?

The strength of particle interactions with matter is influenced by several factors, including the type of particle, the distance between the particles, and the environment in which the interaction takes place. For example, electromagnetic interactions are stronger when particles are closer together, while gravitational interactions are affected by the mass and distance of the objects involved.

5. Why are particle interactions with matter important?

Particle interactions with matter play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of matter at the microscopic level. They also have practical applications, such as in nuclear power and medical imaging technologies. Studying these interactions can help us better understand the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works.