Good High School Chemistry Book?

by Werg22
Tags: book, chemistry, school
Werg22
Dec5-06, 10:04 PM
P: 1,520
Hi, I'm in Chemistry AP and the teacher highly recommends to study in parallel with a book of our choice. Is there a book out there that covers extensively topics such as quantum numbers, quantum notation, molecular geometry in 3 dimension, hybridization, intra-molecular geometry, etc... ?

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
courtrigrad
Dec5-06, 10:06 PM
P: 1,239
Chemistry by Raymond Chang. One of the best along with Zumdahl.
jbusc
Dec6-06, 03:07 AM
P: 212
princeton review AP chem will do you wonders for the actual test.

SeReNiTy
Dec6-06, 04:27 AM
P: 171

Good High School Chemistry Book?

silberberg - chem bible
Werg22
Dec6-06, 07:25 AM
P: 1,520
I see diverse opinions.... need some more to make up my mind, please awnser!
Atomos
Dec6-06, 06:02 PM
P: 159
Quote Quote by SeReNiTy
silberberg
Seconding Silberberg! It is great stuff. It is very comprehensive and accessible. I have been using it for the past two years and still find it useful from time to time, even when I am in organic chem (I would not recommend the book for organic chem at all, though). But it covers all of the things you have mentioned in great and comprehensible detail and then some...
marcusl
Dec6-06, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
My son checked a number of books out of the local university library and settled on a book by whitten, davis (and some other authors) to go with his IB chem class.
Atomos
Dec6-06, 06:57 PM
P: 159
Quote Quote by marcusl View Post
My son checked a number of books out of the local university library and settled on a book by whitten, davis (and some other authors) to go with his IB chem class.
Sorry to continue name dropping Silberberg, but at my school, we used it for the Chemistry IB Higher Level curriculum.
Plastic Photon
Dec6-06, 10:53 PM
P: 166
try General Chemistry by Linus Pauling. It is a Dover book, so it'll cost you about $20 as compared to the $100+ for a text...unless you plan to rent the thing.
marcusl
Dec7-06, 01:14 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Amongst the college texts my son looked at, Pauling's had the poorest overlap with the high school curriculum...

Register to reply