Molecular orbital theory book reccomenations

In summary, the individual is looking to learn about molecular-orbital theory and single-electron and many-electron systems in chemistry. They are unable to purchase a textbook at the moment and are seeking free online resources. However, they are also open to suggestions for a textbook, with Atkins and Szabo being mentioned as potential options.
etotheipi
Hey guys, I decide I need to learn the mathematics of molecular-orbital theory, to build on the qualitative approach of my chemistry coursee. To do this I also first need to study single-electron systems and then many-electron systems, the Born-Oppenheimer approximation, and relevant topics therein.

I'm not really in a position to buy a textbook right now, so I hoped someone would be able to suggest a free online resource which will cover these? But if anyone recommends a nice textbook then I'll be very pleased to look into that as well, though I won't be able to try and borrow it for at least a few weeks [and I'd quite like to get started on something tomorrow!].

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Atkins seems to cover several of these topics and it is often considered to be the physical chemistry textbook.

Likes etotheipi
Sorry I don't know of any websites to recommend, but you might take a look at Szabo - Modern Quantum Chemistry: Introduction to Advanced Electronic Structure Theory. It is a Dover publication, so should be very affordable.

Likes etotheipi
Interesting! Atkins looks great, but it might be a little overkill to splash out on such a beast of a textbook right now. I hadn't heard of Szabo, but that looks fun too. I need to check if either is available to borrow. Thanks for the suggestions 😄

1. What is molecular orbital theory?

Molecular orbital theory is a model used to describe the electronic structure of molecules. It combines the concepts of atomic orbitals and molecular orbitals to explain the bonding and properties of molecules.

2. Why is it important to study molecular orbital theory?

Understanding molecular orbital theory is crucial in predicting the chemical and physical properties of molecules. It allows scientists to explain and predict the reactivity, stability, and spectroscopic properties of molecules, which is essential in fields such as drug development and materials science.

3. What are some recommended books for learning about molecular orbital theory?

Some popular books on molecular orbital theory include "Molecular Orbitals and Organic Chemical Reactions" by Ian Fleming, "Molecular Orbitals and Organic Chemical Reactions: Student Edition" by Michael B. Smith, and "Molecular Orbitals and Organic Chemical Reactions: Reference Edition" by Warren J. Hehre.

4. Are there any online resources available for learning about molecular orbital theory?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about molecular orbital theory, such as websites, videos, and online courses. Some recommended websites include Chemguide, Khan Academy, and Master Organic Chemistry. YouTube channels like The Organic Chemistry Tutor and Professor Dave Explains also have videos on molecular orbital theory.

5. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary to understand molecular orbital theory?

Prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is not necessary to understand the basic concepts of molecular orbital theory. However, a basic understanding of atomic orbitals and electronic configurations is helpful in understanding the theory in more depth. Many books and online resources provide a brief overview of these topics before delving into molecular orbital theory.