Looking for Good Books on Photosynthesis

In summary, the conversation involves a person with a background in physics asking for book recommendations on photosynthesis from a physics point of view. One suggestion is a plant physiology or molecular biology textbook, while other resources such as an article on quantum mechanics in photosynthesis and a research study on the topic are also mentioned.
vancouver_water
Hello,
I am interested in learning more about photosynthesis. My background is in physics, mostly condensed matter and atomic physics (graduate level). I have not taken a chemistry course since high school but I am looking for a book that starts from a physics point of view anyway. What are some good books on this topic?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is photosynthesis?

Photosynthesis is the process by which plants, algae, and some bacteria convert sunlight into chemical energy. This energy is then used to produce food and oxygen, which are essential for sustaining life on Earth.

2. Why is photosynthesis important?

Photosynthesis is important because it is the primary source of energy for almost all living organisms on Earth. It is also responsible for producing oxygen, which is necessary for respiration and maintaining the Earth's atmosphere.

3. What are some good books on photosynthesis?

Some good books on photosynthesis include "Photosynthesis: Physiology and Metabolism" by Richard C. Leegood, "Photosynthesis: Plastid Biology, Energy Conversion and Carbon Assimilation" by Julian J. Eaton-Rye, and "Photosynthesis: Molecular, Physiological, and Environmental Processes" by Richard C. Leegood, Thomas D. Sharkey, and Susanne von Caemmerer.

4. How does photosynthesis work?

Photosynthesis involves two main processes: the light-dependent reactions and the light-independent reactions. In the light-dependent reactions, light energy is absorbed by pigments in the plant, which then converts it into chemical energy in the form of ATP and NADPH. In the light-independent reactions, this energy is used to convert carbon dioxide into glucose, which can then be used by the plant for energy.

5. What are the benefits of understanding photosynthesis?

Understanding photosynthesis can help us better appreciate the importance of plants in our ecosystem and how they contribute to sustaining life on Earth. It also allows us to develop more efficient and sustainable methods of food production and energy generation through harnessing the power of photosynthesis.