Register to reply

Sound speed = ultrasound speed?

by bznm
Tags: sound, speed, ultrasound
Share this thread:
bznm
Feb21-12, 12:08 PM
P: 70
Hi, I'm doing a lab report and I need to know if ultrasound speed in the air is the same of sound speed in the air.
Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
boneh3ad
Feb21-12, 12:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,488
Ultrasound is just sound with a very high frequency such that we can't hear it. Therefore, yes, it is identical to any other form of sound, including its speed in air.
berkeman
Feb21-12, 01:20 PM
Mentor
P: 40,653
Quote Quote by bznm View Post
Hi, I'm doing a lab report and I need to know if ultrasound speed in the air is the same of sound speed in the air.
Thank you
Quote Quote by boneh3ad View Post
Ultrasound is just sound with a very high frequency such that we can't hear it. Therefore, yes, it is identical to any other form of sound, including its speed in air.
Lookes like boneh3ad is right: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...nd/souspe.html

Dumbo1914
Feb21-12, 01:27 PM
P: 1
Sound speed = ultrasound speed?

Speed of sound is very nearly independent of frequency, but not quite, (see A B Wood, A Textbook of Sound (Bell, London, 1946))

For your purposes I doubt it would make a difference. However for low pressures it might.
bznm
Feb21-12, 05:48 PM
P: 70
Thank you very much ;)

Register to reply