How high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air?

In summary: Do you have a reference for that? I searched for about 20 minutes and couldn't find a source for the claim.I couldn't find a source either, but I don't think it's a baseless claim.
Piotr99
Please can someone explain me how high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air?
Should we consider the Ultrasound or we should concentrate only on sound level in Air as frequency ultrasound have no effect on sound level?

Physics news on Phys.org
Piotr99 said:
Please can someone explain me how high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air?
Should we consider the Ultrasound or we should concentrate only on sound level in Air as frequency ultrasound have no effect on sound level?
Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? What are you trying to do?

Hi Mentor,

Thank you for reply. This is a question which is going on top of my head as I am approaching Acoustics and Ultrasound subject.

Piotr99 said:
Hi Mentor,

Thank you for reply. This is a question which is going on top of my head as I am approaching Acoustics and Ultrasound subject.
You do understand that high levels of ultrasound in air can be dangerous, right? Can you say why that is true?

Of course, I think the limits are 120 dB for Ultrasound based on WHO but I saw some standards stating lower limits. Why is dangerous because causing all kinds of non-auditory discomforts and probably more stuff..
But my theoretical questions is how high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air? I know based on Sound Level in Air that the highest level is around 194 dB. But can we say it will be 194 dB for ultrasound as well? Have high frequency affect the sound level due to strong attenuation of Ultrasound in air?

Piotr99 said:
But my theoretical questions is how high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air?
With a tone generator, an amplifier, and an ultrasonic capable speaker?
Being somewhat old, everything above 12,000 hz is ultrasonic, so my laptop, add on speakers, and on-line tone generator were able to create "ultrasound".
I know based on Sound Level in Air that the highest level is around 194 dB. But can we say it will be 194 dB for ultrasound as well?
wiki claims that that is a "dubious" claim. [ref] Do you have a reference for that? I searched for about 20 minutes and couldn't find a source for the claim.
Have high frequency affect the sound level due to strong attenuation of Ultrasound in air?
I don't know. Have you googled it?

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
You do understand that high levels of ultrasound in air can be dangerous, right? Can you say why that is true?
Well, I don't know about Piotr, but I now understand.

Note to home experimenters: This is a horrible experiment to try on yourself. My ears are still ringing!

berkeman said:
It can be dangerous, both for people and for things, be careful, if you're not a professional or a scientist

1. How are high levels of ultrasound created in air?

High levels of ultrasound in air are created through the use of specialized equipment, such as ultrasound transducers, which emit high frequency sound waves. These sound waves are then amplified and focused to create high levels of ultrasound.

2. What is the frequency range of ultrasound in air?

The frequency range of ultrasound in air typically falls between 20 kHz and 100 kHz, though it can vary depending on the equipment used and the specific application.

3. Can ultrasound in air be harmful to humans?

In general, high levels of ultrasound in air are not considered harmful to humans. However, prolonged exposure to very high levels of ultrasound can potentially cause discomfort or damage to the ears and other sensitive tissues.

4. How is the intensity of ultrasound in air measured?

The intensity of ultrasound in air is typically measured in terms of decibels (dB). This measurement takes into account both the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves being emitted.

5. What are some applications of high levels of ultrasound in air?

High levels of ultrasound in air have a wide range of applications, including medical imaging, industrial cleaning, and non-destructive testing. They can also be used for communication and navigation in certain underwater environments.