Therapeutic vs Diagnostic Ultrasound Tissue Temperature

vascular
TL;DR Summary
Ultrasound focus, energy, tissue temperature
Hello everyone, I stumble on this forum while searching for reliable explanation of ultrasound thermal energy with regards to temperature increase in superficial human tissue, specifically skin. I have been performing diagnostic ultrasound for almost 30 years, specifically vascular hemodynamics.

I have been reading about Uletherapy for the treatment of aging skin and read some information regarding the specific ultrasound system used for the treatment. Basically it said it differed form diagnostic ultrasound because their ultrasound is focused. Huh? I didn't have a problem with that nugget because I figured it was the marketing of the treatment as to eliminate "just anyone" from performing this service. But, when I read the Q&A page, answered by physicians AND a physicist, where this information was specifically questioned, both the physicist and physician stated that diagnostic ultrasound cannot be focused, and therefor not target a specific skin segment.

It went on to say that diagnostic equipment cannot generate the required temperature to elicit cell turnover (could not raise tissue above 60 degrees Celsius). THAT is when I was triggered. And that is when i started looking into it. Marketing department, okay but shady. A physician though? Sounds like unethical and possibly malpractice. Dont all ultrasound units have an intensity limit of 720 mW/cm2? Does anyone know if the Uletherapy units have a different focus then diagnostic units?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Google auto-corrected the spelling for me to "Ultherapy", and it does look like it's FDA approved for skin tightening cosmetic procedures:

https://www.webmd.com/beauty/what-to-know-ultherapy
What Is Ultherapy?

Ultherapy, also known as Ulthera, is a non-surgical cosmetic treatment used to tighten the skin of the face and neck. This FDA-approved ultrasound therapy works to gradually lift the skin on your neck, chin, and brow, minimizing any fine lines and wrinkles.

Using micro-focused ultrasound, Ultherapy treats the superficial layers of the skin at a much lower level of ultrasound energy than the high-energy ultrasound that's more often used to nonsurgically remove tumors.

These two types of focused ultrasound are in many ways similar to a pregnancy ultrasound or other types of ultrasound used in medical imaging. The main difference is that Ultherapy emits various frequencies of ultrasound energy through the skin in order to lift and tighten it.

As of today, Ultherapy is the only non-invasive treatment option of its kind. Studies have shown that it’s both safe and effective.

Can you provide some links to the reading you've been doing on this question? Thanks.

Likes jim mcnamara and Astronuc

What is the difference between therapeutic and diagnostic ultrasound?

Therapeutic ultrasound is primarily used for treating medical conditions and promoting tissue healing by delivering sound waves that generate heat and promote blood flow in targeted areas. It is commonly used in physical therapy for conditions like muscle strains or ligament injuries. Diagnostic ultrasound, on the other hand, is used to visualize internal organs and tissues without making any incisions. It helps in diagnosing conditions, monitoring pregnancies, and examining internal structures using high-frequency sound waves that create images.

How does tissue temperature change during therapeutic ultrasound?

During therapeutic ultrasound, the sound waves penetrate the skin and underlying tissues, causing molecular vibrations that generate heat. This increase in temperature can enhance blood flow, reduce tissue stiffness, and promote healing. The extent of temperature increase depends on several factors including the intensity and frequency of the ultrasound, the duration of exposure, and the type of tissue targeted.

Is there a risk of overheating tissues during therapeutic ultrasound?

Yes, there is a risk of overheating tissues if therapeutic ultrasound is not applied correctly. Overheating can occur if the ultrasound intensity is too high, the duration is too long, or if the ultrasound head is held stationary for too long on one spot. To mitigate these risks, clinicians are trained to use appropriate settings and to keep the ultrasound head moving during treatment. Additionally, the patient's feedback on sensation and comfort is crucial for safe application.

What are the typical temperatures achieved in tissues during therapeutic ultrasound?

The typical temperatures achieved during therapeutic ultrasound can range from slightly above body temperature to around 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit). The specific temperature achieved can vary based on the treatment protocol, the ultrasound settings, and the target tissue. It's crucial to control the temperature increase within safe limits to prevent burns and other thermal injuries.

How does diagnostic ultrasound affect tissue temperature?

Diagnostic ultrasound generally has minimal impact on tissue temperature. The energy levels used in diagnostic ultrasound are much lower compared to therapeutic ultrasound, and the primary goal is to obtain images rather than to alter tissue characteristics through heat. Any temperature rise that does occur is typically negligible and not sufficient to cause thermal effects or damage to the tissues being examined.