How are fractures in airplane structures detected by ultrasound?

pgirl1729
TL;DR Summary
How does fractures in airplanes detected by ultrasound?
For applications of ultrasound, detecting fractures using ultrasound is listed in one of my textbooks. According to that, ultrasound cannot travel through air right after it travelled through solid parts of the plane. Therefore if there was a fracture, the sound was supposed to be reflected back. How does it happen exactly? I don't have much knowledge about it. Is it because solid has the ability to cope with the high frequency of ultrasound, but air doesn't? apparently making it go back?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the key reference in Baluncore's post is the one on acoustic impedance. Different materials have different impedances, and where there's a change you get some reflection.

So I think the OP's book is over-stating it when it says "ultrasound cannot travel through air right after it travelled through solid" (my bold). Actually, it's only difficult for sound to exit from the solid, but that does mean that very little energy travels into the air gap. The rest reflects, revealing the presence of the crack.

Likes nasu, russ_watters and pgirl1729

1. How does ultrasound detect fractures in airplane structures?

Ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves to penetrate through the surface of an object and create images of the internal structure. When these sound waves encounter a fracture or crack in the airplane structure, they are reflected back differently, allowing the ultrasound machine to detect and display the presence of a fracture.

2. Is ultrasound the only method used to detect fractures in airplane structures?

No, ultrasound is just one of the methods used to detect fractures in airplane structures. Other methods include visual inspection, X-ray imaging, and eddy current testing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so a combination of techniques is often used for a more comprehensive inspection.

3. What are the benefits of using ultrasound to detect fractures in airplane structures?

Ultrasound is a non-destructive testing method, meaning it does not damage the airplane structure during the inspection process. It is also relatively quick and can provide real-time images, allowing for immediate detection and assessment of any fractures. Additionally, ultrasound can detect fractures that may not be visible to the naked eye, making it a valuable tool for detecting hidden damage.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges to using ultrasound for fracture detection in airplane structures?

One limitation of ultrasound is its inability to penetrate through certain materials, such as thick metal or composite materials, which may hinder its ability to detect fractures deep within the structure. Additionally, the accuracy of ultrasound images can be affected by the skill and experience of the operator, making proper training and certification important for reliable results.

5. How often are ultrasound inspections performed on airplane structures?

The frequency of ultrasound inspections on airplane structures varies depending on the type of aircraft and its usage. Generally, commercial aircraft undergo routine inspections every 1-2 years, while military aircraft may require more frequent inspections due to their higher usage and potential for damage. In addition, ultrasound inspections may also be performed after any major maintenance or repair work on the aircraft.