Are all open sets compact in the discrete topology?

In summary, compactness says that if you have an open cover -- a collection of open sets whose union covers F -- then some finite subcollection will also cover F. This means that if you have an open cover of integers with the discrete topology, there is no finite subcover that covers the integers. However, if you cover the integers with the set of singletons, there is a finite subcollection that covers the integers.
Useful nucleus
A subset K of a metric space X is said to be compact if every open cover of K contains a finite subcover.
Does not this imply that every open set is compact. Because let F is open, then
F= F [itex]\bigcup[/itex] ∅. Since F and ∅ are open , we obtained a finite subcover of F.
Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Useful nucleus said:
A subset K of a metric space X is said to be compact if every open cover of K contains a finite subcover.
Does not this imply that every open set is compact. Because let F is open, then
F= F [itex]\bigcup[/itex] ∅. Since F and ∅ are open , we obtained a finite subcover of F.
Am I missing something here?

Every cover must have a finite subcover not just one or some of them.

But F[itex]\bigcup[/itex]∅ is contained in every open cover for F?

Useful nucleus said:
But F[itex]\bigcup[/itex]∅ is contained in every open cover?

As a subset, yes. But F and ∅ might not be elements of the open cover.

Compactness says that if you have an open cover -- a collection of open sets whose union covers F -- then some finite subcollection will also cover F. In other words you have to be able to pick out a finite collection of sets from your open cover, and show that the finite collection is also an open cover.

As an example, take F = (0,1), the open unit interval. Let A_n = (1/n, 1). Then the collection {A_n} for n = 1, 2, 3, ... is an open cover of F; but no finite subcollection of the A_n's covers (0,1). Working through this example will be helpful.

Then, I think the definition of the open cover of a set F has to emphasize that F has to be a proper subset of the cover. Otherwise the argument in my first post will be correct.

Useful nucleus said:
But F[itex]\bigcup[/itex]∅ is contained in every open cover for F?

As SteveL7 said, F and ∅ may not be elements of the open cover. An open cover is a collection of open sets. F may not be in the collection.

Useful nucleus said:
Then, I think the definition of the open cover of a set F has to emphasize that F has to be a proper subset of the cover. Otherwise the argument in my first post will be correct.

Well if F is an open set, then {F} is indeed an open cover of F consisting of one set. So that's an example of one open cover of F that happens to have a finite subcover.

But compactness requires that EVERY open cover has a finite subcover.

I think you would find it helpful to work through the example of F = (0,1) that I gave earlier.

FWIW pretty much everyone has trouble learning about compactness. It's very unintuitive. Not like connectedness, say, whose technical definition matches our intuition about what a connected set should be. With compactness, it's like, "How did they ever think of that?"

SteveL27 and lavinia thank you very much for your help! I have a better understanding now of the definition. The open unit interval example was particularly helpful.

the usual example "in the other direction" (unbounded sets, rather than open sets) is R:

certainly {R} is an open cover of R. yet it hardly seems "right" to call R "compact", given how large it is.

and, of course, it is not:

{(n,n+2): n in Z} is an open cover of R, but we need "all |Z| of them" (and |Z| is not finite) to cover R, no finite subcover will do.

Useful nucleus said:
SteveL27 and lavinia thank you very much for your help! I have a better understanding now of the definition. The open unit interval example was particularly helpful.

Here is a stark example.

Take the integers with the discrete topology. Here each singleton,{n}, is an open set.
Cover the integers with the set of singletons. Not onl;y is there no finite subcover, there is no subcover.

1. What is the definition of a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all of its limit points and can be contained within a finite distance.

2. How is compactness related to continuity?

A function is continuous if and only if the preimage of any open set is open. Compactness plays a role in this definition because a continuous function maps compact sets to compact sets.

3. Can a set be compact in one metric space but not in another?

Yes, a set can be compact in one metric space but not in another. For example, the set [0,1] is compact in the metric space of real numbers, but it is not compact in the metric space of rational numbers.

4. What is the Heine-Borel theorem?

The Heine-Borel theorem states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem is fundamental in understanding compact sets and their properties.

5. What are some examples of compact sets?

Some examples of compact sets include closed intervals, finite sets, and the Cantor set. Any set that is both closed and bounded in a metric space is also compact.