Register to reply

Compact sets definition

by Useful nucleus
Tags: compact, definition, sets
Share this thread:
Useful nucleus
Feb23-12, 09:52 PM
P: 261
A subset K of a metric space X is said to be compact if every open cover of K contains a finite subcover.
Does not this imply that every open set is compact. Because let F is open, then
F= F [itex]\bigcup[/itex] ∅. Since F and ∅ are open , we obtained a finite subcover of F.
Am I missing something here?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
lavinia
Feb23-12, 09:58 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,716
Quote Quote by Useful nucleus View Post
A subset K of a metric space X is said to be compact if every open cover of K contains a finite subcover.
Does not this imply that every open set is compact. Because let F is open, then
F= F [itex]\bigcup[/itex] ∅. Since F and ∅ are open , we obtained a finite subcover of F.
Am I missing something here?
Every cover must have a finite subcover not just one or some of them.
Useful nucleus
Feb23-12, 10:05 PM
But F[itex]\bigcup[/itex]∅ is contained in every open cover for F?

SteveL27
Feb23-12, 10:09 PM
P: 800
Compact sets definition

But F[itex]\bigcup[/itex]∅ is contained in every open cover?
As a subset, yes. But F and ∅ might not be elements of the open cover.

Compactness says that if you have an open cover -- a collection of open sets whose union covers F -- then some finite subcollection will also cover F. In other words you have to be able to pick out a finite collection of sets from your open cover, and show that the finite collection is also an open cover.

As an example, take F = (0,1), the open unit interval. Let A_n = (1/n, 1). Then the collection {A_n} for n = 1, 2, 3, ... is an open cover of F; but no finite subcollection of the A_n's covers (0,1). Working through this example will be helpful.
Useful nucleus
Feb23-12, 10:15 PM
Then, I think the definition of the open cover of a set F has to emphasize that F has to be a proper subset of the cover. Otherwise the argument in my first post will be correct.
lavinia
Feb23-12, 10:17 PM
Sci Advisor
But F[itex]\bigcup[/itex]∅ is contained in every open cover for F?
As SteveL7 said, F and ∅ may not be elements of the open cover. An open cover is a collection of open sets. F may not be in the collection.
SteveL27
Feb23-12, 10:19 PM
P: 800
Then, I think the definition of the open cover of a set F has to emphasize that F has to be a proper subset of the cover. Otherwise the argument in my first post will be correct.
Well if F is an open set, then {F} is indeed an open cover of F consisting of one set. So thats an example of one open cover of F that happens to have a finite subcover.

But compactness requires that EVERY open cover has a finite subcover.

I think you would find it helpful to work through the example of F = (0,1) that I gave earlier.

FWIW pretty much everyone has trouble learning about compactness. It's very unintuitive. Not like connectedness, say, whose technical definition matches our intuition about what a connected set should be. With compactness, it's like, "How did they ever think of that?"
Useful nucleus
Feb23-12, 10:23 PM
SteveL27 and lavinia thank you very much for your help! I have a better understanding now of the definition. The open unit interval example was particularly helpful.
Deveno
Feb24-12, 01:00 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
the usual example "in the other direction" (unbounded sets, rather than open sets) is R:

certainly {R} is an open cover of R. yet it hardly seems "right" to call R "compact", given how large it is.

and, of course, it is not:

{(n,n+2): n in Z} is an open cover of R, but we need "all |Z| of them" (and |Z| is not finite) to cover R, no finite subcover will do.
lavinia
Feb24-12, 07:30 AM
Sci Advisor
SteveL27 and lavinia thank you very much for your help! I have a better understanding now of the definition. The open unit interval example was particularly helpful.
Here is a stark example.

Take the integers with the discrete topology. Here each singleton,{n}, is an open set.
Cover the integers with the set of singletons. Not onl;y is there no finite subcover, there is no subcover.

Register to reply