Heine-Borel Theorem shouldn't work for open intervals?

In summary: Thus s = b and by openness of U there exists an \epsilon > 0 such that (b - \epsilon,b] \subset U. This proves compactness of [a,b].
Utilite
Okay, I am studying Baby Rudin and I am in a lot of trouble.
I want to show that a closed interval [a,b] is compact in R. The book gives a proof for R^n but I am trying a different proof like thing.
Since a is in some open set of an infinite open cover, the interval [a,a+r_1) is in that open set for an r_1. Similarly a+r_1 is in the closed interval, [a+r_1,a+r_1+r_2) is in an open set. Going like this we can reach an r_k such that a+r_1+r_2...+r_k is greater than or equal to b. Therefore an interval [c,b] is an open set and those open sets form a subcover of an infinite open cover. M=min{r_1,r_2...r_k}>0 Therefore k needs to be less than or equal to (b-a)/M which is clearly finite. Even if every interval [a+r_1...r_i,a+r_1...r_(i+1)) is contained in different open sets the number of open sets is finite.
Every infinite open cover of an interval [a,b] has a finite subcover then it is compact.
I think I am making a mistake because this should work for [a,b). But [0,1) is not compact.
I am very confused, please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Utilite said:
Going like this we can reach an r_k such that a+r_1+r_2...+r_k is greater than or equal to b.
This step is invalid.

andrewkirk said:
This step is invalid.
why??

Utilite said:
why??
We have no reason to expect that any sum of ##r_k##s will reach ##b-a##. That would be the case for instance if we had ##r_k=2^{-k}(b-a)##.

andrewkirk said:
We have no reason to expect that any sum of ##r_k##s will reach ##b-a##. That would be the case for instance if we had ##r_k=2^{-k}(b-a)##.
But since our interval is covered by open sets some neighbourhood of each point is a subset of an open set. [a,c) is a subset of O_1, [c,d) is a subset of O_2 etc. Since B is contained in an open set B should we contained in a neighbourhood of some point.

Utilite said:
But since our interval is covered by open sets some neighbourhood of each point is a subset of an open set. [a,c) is a subset of O_1, [c,d) is a subset of O_2 etc. Since B is contained in an open set B should we contained in a neighbourhood of some point.

[itex]b[/itex] is not a member of [itex][a,b)[/itex], so an open cover of [itex][a,b)[/itex] doesn't have to contain any sets which contain [itex]b[/itex].

pasmith said:
[itex]b[/itex] is not a member of [itex][a,b)[/itex], so an open cover of [itex][a,b)[/itex] doesn't have to contain any sets which contain [itex]b[/itex].
No but i am talking about [a,b] b is a member of an open set on an open cover of [a,b]. I don't know if this proves something but my argument seems valid, i am just finding a union of neighbourhoods that cover [a,b].

[a+r_1,a+r_1+r_2) isn't an open set with respect to the topology of [a,b].

The Bill said:
[a+r_1,a+r_1+r_2) isn't an open set with respect to the topology of [a,b].
(a+r_1-r_2,a+r_1+r_2) is in an open set i am just ignoring the unnecessary part

Utilite said:

Utilite said:
No but i am talking about [a,b] b is a member of an open set on an open cover of [a,b]. I don't know if this proves something but my argument seems valid, i am just finding a union of neighbourhoods that cover [a,b].

Well yes: an open cover of [itex][a,b][/itex] must contain a set [itex]U[/itex] such that [itex](b - \epsilon, b] \subset U[/itex] for some [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex].

Here is a proof of compactness of [itex][a,b][/itex] which explicitly uses the least upper bound axiom:

Let [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex] be an open cover of [itex][a,b][/itex] and define [itex]P \subset [a,b][/itex] such that [itex]x \in P[/itex] if and only if [itex][a,x][/itex] is covered by a finite subcollection of [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex]. Our aim is to show that [itex]b \in P[/itex].

Observe that if [itex]x \in P[/itex] then [itex][a,x]\subset P[/itex].

Now [itex]a \in P[/itex] as [itex][a,a] = \{a\}[/itex] is covered by any set in [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex] which contains [itex]a[/itex], and by definition [itex]b[/itex] is an upper bound for [itex]P[/itex]. Hence [itex]s = \sup P[/itex] exists and [itex]a < s \leq b[/itex]. Note that [itex][a, s) \subset P[/itex].

Now [itex]s \in [a,b][/itex] so there exists a [itex]U \in \mathcal{U}[/itex] such that [itex]s \in U[/itex]. If [itex]s < b[/itex] then by openness of [itex]U[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that [itex](s - \delta,s + \delta) \subset U[/itex]. But then [itex][a,s + \frac12\delta] = [a,s - \frac12\delta] \cup (s-\delta,s+\frac12\delta][/itex] is covered by a finite subcollection of [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex] so [itex]s < s + \frac12 \delta \in P[/itex]. This is a contradiction.

Thus [itex]s = b[/itex] and by openness of [itex]U[/itex] there exists an [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] such that [itex](b - \epsilon,b] \subset U[/itex]. This together with the finite subcollection which covers [itex][a, b - \frac12 \epsilon][/itex] forms a finite subcover of [itex][a,b][/itex] as required.

Note that starting from [itex]a[/itex] we could get arbitrarily close to [itex]b[/itex] using only a finite number of open sets, but to actually reach [itex]b[/itex] we had to use a set which contained [itex]b[/itex].

Likes Utilite

1. Why does the Heine-Borel Theorem not work for open intervals?

The Heine-Borel Theorem states that a subset of a Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. However, open intervals are not closed and therefore do not satisfy the requirements for compactness.

2. Can you give an example of an open interval that does not satisfy the Heine-Borel Theorem?

One example is the open interval (0,1) in the real number line. It is bounded by 0 and 1, but it is not closed as it does not contain its limit points.

3. What is the difference between open and closed intervals in terms of the Heine-Borel Theorem?

A closed interval includes its endpoints, while an open interval does not. This means that a closed interval can be compact, but an open interval cannot.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Heine-Borel Theorem for open intervals?

No, the Heine-Borel Theorem is a fundamental result in topology and applies universally to all open intervals in any Euclidean space. It cannot be bypassed or modified for open intervals.

5. How is the Heine-Borel Theorem useful if it does not apply to open intervals?

The Heine-Borel Theorem still has many important applications in mathematics and science, such as in the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is also a fundamental concept in topology and serves as a starting point for other theorems and concepts.