Confusion about definition of compactness

In summary: S} is not a subset of {S, empty set}, since the empty set is not an element of {S}.Additionally, the definition of compactness requires that for EVERY open cover, there exists a finite subcover. {S} is only one specific open cover of S, and it may not be a finite subcover for other open covers of S.
Chain
So the definition I have seen is:

Given a topological space <S,F> it is compact if for any cover (union of open sets which is equal to S) there exists a finite subcover.

By the definition of a topological space both S and the empty set must belong to the family of subsets F.
Wouldn't <S, empty set> be a finite subcover for S? In which case S is compact.

By this sort of logic any open subset X of a topological space S is also compact in the relative topology since X will belong to the family of subsets in the relative topology so <X, empty set> would be a finite subcover for X.

I'm assuming the resolution to this is that the finite subcover cannot include the space itself but I just want to double check I haven't horribly misunderstood something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chain said:

Given a topological space <S,F> it is compact if for any cover (union of open sets which is equal to S) there exists a finite subcover.

By the definition of a topological space both S and the empty set must belong to the family of subsets F.

{S} is a finite cover of S. It's one which exists for every topology on S, and it proves nothing about compactness of S with respect to that topology.

There may be other covers of S which don't have {S} as a subcover (for example, {{1},{2}} is an open cover of {1,2} in the discrete topology), and don't have any finite subcover ([itex]\{ (-n,n) : n \in \{1, 2, 3, \dots\}\}[/itex] is an open cover of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] in the standard topology which does not admit a finite subcover).

Chain said:

By this sort of logic any open subset X of a topological space S is also compact in the relative topology since X will belong to the family of subsets in the relative topology so <X, empty set> would be a finite subcover for X.

I'm assuming the resolution to this is that the finite subcover cannot include the space itself but I just want to double check I haven't horribly misunderstood something.

You've effectively taken the definition of compactness to be "there exists a finite open cover".

Chain said:
##\{\mathbb R\}## is an open cover of ##\mathbb R## that has a finite subcover. But this tells us nothing about whether ##\mathbb R## is compact. The set of all open intervals in ##\mathbb R## is an open cover of ##\mathbb R## that doesn't have a finite subcover. This tells us that ##\mathbb R## is not compact.

Chain said:
The space itself can be included in the finite subcover, but only if it's also an element of the original open cover, the one that the subcover is a subset of. If you prove that every open cover that includes the space itself has a finite subcover, you have only proved a trivial statement about some open covers.

For a moment I thought that the proof of "closed subsets of compact spaces are compact" would be a good example of an argument where you need to include the space in an open cover and its subcover, but I realized that I had made a mistake right after I had typed up the proof (incorrectly) and posted it. The corrected proof is still an interesting example of how the definition is used, so I'll include it here, even though it doesn't illustrate the point that I was originally trying to make.

Let X be a compact topological space. Let F be a closed subset of X. Let C be an open cover of F. ##C\cup\{F^c\}## is an open cover of X. Let D be a finite subset of ##C\cup\{F^c\}## that covers X. (The fact that X is compact ensures that such a D exists). ##D-\{F^c\}## is a finite subset of C that covers F. Since C is an arbitrary open cover of F, this implies that F is compact.

Last edited:
Chain said:

You need to interpret "for any" to mean "every". So even a cover that does not include S must contain a finite subcover.

Thank you for all the responses!

My problem was that {S, empty set} is a finite cover of S since the union of S and the empty set is just S.
Then surely {S} is a subset of {S, empty set} in which case is this not a finite subcover?

I think the answer to this problem lies with remark FactChecker made. I think that indeed I have proven that there exists an open cover with a finite subcover however I have not proven that for EVERY open cover there exists a finite subcover and this is what is required to state that S is compact.

Chain said:
Thank you for all the responses!

My problem was that {S, empty set} is a finite cover of S since the union of S and the empty set is just S.
Then surely {S} is a subset of {S, empty set} in which case is this not a finite subcover?

I think the answer to this problem lies with remark FactChecker made. I think that indeed I have proven that there exists an open cover with a finite subcover however I have not proven that for EVERY open cover there exists a finite subcover and this is what is required to state that S is compact.

That is correct. One always has a finite cover which is just the whole space itself. Compact means as you said - every open cover has a finite subcover.

For example, the set of all integers, as a subset of the set of all real numbers with the usual topology, is NOT compact because the "open cover", {(n- .01, n+ .01}, has no open subcover. Yes, the empty set and the entire set of integers cover it but that is not a sub collection of this particular open cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the definition of compactness?

The definition of compactness varies depending on the field of study. In general, compactness refers to the property of a set to be finite or to have a finite limit. In topology, compactness means that a set is both closed and bounded, while in mathematical analysis, compactness means that a set is complete and totally bounded.

What is the difference between compactness and completeness?

Compactness and completeness are related but distinct concepts. Compactness refers to the property of a set to be finite or to have a finite limit, while completeness refers to the property of a set to contain all of its limit points. In other words, a compact set is necessarily complete, but a complete set may not be compact.

Can a set be compact but not complete?

No, a set cannot be compact but not complete. In topology, a compact set is defined as a set that is both closed and bounded. Since a complete set contains all of its limit points, it must also be closed. Therefore, a compact set must also be complete.

What is the importance of compactness in mathematics?

Compactness is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as topology, analysis, and algebra. It allows for the study of infinite sets and functions in a finite manner, making it a powerful tool for proving theorems and solving problems. Compactness also has important applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific disciplines.

Why is there confusion about the definition of compactness?

The confusion about the definition of compactness may arise because it has different interpretations in different fields of mathematics. Additionally, the definition may vary slightly depending on the context in which it is being used. It is important to clarify the specific definition being used in a particular situation to avoid confusion.