Problem with countably compact space

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in topology by Munkres regarding the equivalence between countable compactness and limit point compactness in a ##T_1## space. The author asks whether the reciprocal proposition is correct or if there is a typo in the use of the word equivalent. The conversation also includes an example from Wikipedia that shows that countably compact ##T_1## spaces do not necessarily imply limit point compactness. Finally, the conversation delves into a discussion about the differences and connections between limit point compactness and sequential compactness, as well as the role of the ##T_1## property in these definitions.
facenian
Helo. A problem in TOPOLOGY by Munkres states that for a ##T_1## space ##X## countable compactness is equivalent to limit point compactes(somtimes also known as Frechet compactness). Countable compactness means that every contable open covering contains a finite subcollection that covers ##X##.
He gives a Hint to show that a limit point compact and ##T_1## space is countably compact. However he does not give any clue for the reciprocal proposition.
My question is: Is the reciprocal poposition correct or the use of the word equivalent is a typo?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the following example on Wikipedia: (I haven't checked it in detail, but it looks promising.)

A compact Hausdorff space that is not sequentially compact

The set ##\{0,1 \}## provided with the discrete topology is compact. Therefore, according to the theorem of Tychonoff also the set ##\{0,1 \}^{[0,1]}## all functions on the interval ##[0,1]## to ##\{0,1 \}## provided with the product topology is also compact, and it is Hausdorff.

The product topology on ##\{0,1 \}^{[0,1]}## means that a sequence of functions converges if it converges pointwise.

But this space is not sequentially compact.

A sequence of functions that does not contain a convergent subsequence can be defined as follows:

The dual places of a real number are an infinite sequence of zeros and ones.
The sequence ##(a_{n})_{n \in \mathbb{N}} \in \{0,1 \}^{[0,1]}## is now defined as follows:
##a_{n}(x)## is the ##n-##th dual digit of the number ##x##.
To a subsequence ##(a_{n_{k}})_{n_k \in \mathbb{N}}## we define a number ##y## as follows. We set in the binary representation of ##y## at ##n_k## a ##0## if ##k## is even, a ##1## if ##k## is odd, and ##0## at all other locations. That means the sequence ##(a_{n_{k}})_{n_k \in \mathbb{N}}## does not converge, because at ##y## the values jump back and forth. Thus the sequence ##(a_{n})_{n \in \mathbb{N}}## can not have a convergent subsequence.

The English Wikipedia has:
In a sequential (Hausdorff) space sequential compactness is equivalent to countable compactness.

Since limit point compactness-----> sequential compactness. And compact(Hausdorff) -----> countably compact(T_1) . This example is interesting however it is not a counter example to the use of the word equivalent in the proposed exercise.

As I see it, limit point compactness and sequential compactness is the same, and only due to a different translation. Now Hausdorff implies ##T_1##. Thus the example shows ##\text{ countably compact } T_1 \nRightarrow \text{ limit point compactness }##. In order to be true, the Hausdorff space has also to be a sequential space. Without it, the equivalence doesn't hold.

Am I wrong here?

Last edited:
facenian said:
Helo. A problem in TOPOLOGY by Munkres states that for a ##T_1## space ##X## countable compactness is equivalent to limit point compactes(somtimes also known as Frechet compactness). Countable compactness means that every contable open covering contains a finite subcollection that covers ##X##.
He gives a Hint to show that a limit point compact and ##T_1## space is countably compact. However he does not give any clue for the reciprocal proposition.
My question is: Is the reciprocal poposition correct or the use of the word equivalent is a typo?

The statement is true. I will provide a proof for "countably compact => limit point compact. In fact, the proof is quite straightforward: By contraposition, we start with a countable infinite set without limit point, and we find a countable open cover without finite subcover.

Proof
: Let ##(X, \mathcal{T})## be a topological space. Suppose that there is a countable infinite subset ##S## without limit point.

This means that ##S## must be closed (a set without limit points contains all its limit points, and hence is closed), but also that for any ##x \in S## there exists an open neighborhood ##V_x## of ##x## such that ##V_x \cap (S \setminus \{x\}) = \emptyset##.

The collection ##\{V_x \mid x \in S\} \cup \{X \setminus S\}## is a countable open cover without finite subcover, as it is not possible to leave out ##V_y## for a certain ##y \in S##. This ends the proof.

Note that I didn't use the ##T_1## property, but this is required for the other direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes facenian
fresh_42 said:
As I see it, limit point compactness and sequential compactness is the same, and only due to a different translation. How Hausdorff implies ##T_1##. Thus the example shows ##\text{ countably compact } T_1 \nRightarrow \text{ limit point compactness }##. In order to be true, the Hausdorff space has also to be a sequential space. Without it, the equivalence doesn't hold.

Am I wrong here?

Yes, I think you are. I didn't look at the example though. The statement (in one direction) doesn't even seem to require ##T_1## (or stronger things like Hausdorff).

Math_QED said:
Yes, I think you are. I didn't look at the example though.
Me neither, just found it. Whether ##T_1## is used or not depends on Tychonoff, so that isn't an obvious criterion. As soon as we go into the details of the zoo, things become less intuitive quickly. But still an interesting puzzle: How exactly are the inclusions between the two definitions of compactness, which direction needs what, how do sequential Hausdorff spaces come into play, where are they settled in this environment between ##T_0,T_1,T_2## and compactness, and last but not least: what does the example show and what doesn't.

I often read "in metric spaces ..." and then what follows is worthless for topology in general. I admit, I'm not the biggest fan of its zoo, so I'm not sure whether I want to solve the puzzle. Nevertheless, it's an interesting one.

P.S.: And it gets even messier if we bring in the term Fréchet compactness - just for the sake of confusion. :wink:

fresh_42 said:
As I see it, limit point compactness and sequential compactness is the same, and only due to a different translation.
Am I wrong here?
They are the same in a metric space. Though sequential compactness --------> limit point compactness in general(always) the reciprocal needs 1st countability.

Likes fresh_42
How does Munkres define "limit point compact"?

Last edited:
Erland said:
How does Munkres define "limit point compact"?
A space X is said to be limit point compact if every infinite subset of X has a limit point.
The thread's question was answered in post #5.

facenian said:
A space X is said to be limit point compact if every infinite subset of X has a limit point.
The thread's question was answered in post #5.

Note that that definition is equivalent with saying that every countable infinite subset of X has a limit point, and I used this in my proof.

Math_QED said:
Note that that definition is equivalent with saying that every countable infinite subset of X has a limit point, and I used this in my proof.
Yes, it cast some doubt at the beginig, then I realized its ok. By the way I did try the same approach as your solution however I did not realized ##S## is closed and failed. Also not using T_1 made me think I was missing something important

Likes member 587159

What is a countably compact space?

A countably compact space is a topological space in which every countable open cover has a finite subcover. In simpler terms, this means that every infinite sequence in the space has a convergent subsequence.

How is countably compact different from compact?

Compactness and countable compactness are two different properties of a topological space. A space is compact if every open cover has a finite subcover, while a space is countably compact if every countable open cover has a finite subcover. Countable compactness is a weaker condition than compactness, as it only applies to countable open covers.

What are some examples of countably compact spaces?

Examples of countably compact spaces include the real numbers with the usual topology, the closed unit interval [0,1] with the usual topology, and the Cantor set.

Why is the problem with countably compact spaces important in mathematics?

The problem with countably compact spaces is important because it relates to the study of convergence in topological spaces. It also has implications in other areas of mathematics such as analysis, functional analysis, and topology.

Are there any equivalent conditions for countable compactness?

Yes, there are several equivalent conditions for countably compact spaces. These include the Bolzano-Weierstrass property, the sequential compactness property, and the limit point compactness property. These conditions all relate to the idea of convergence in topological spaces.