Register to reply

What exactly is blood pressure?

by Sofie1990
Tags: blood, pressure
Share this thread:
Sofie1990
Apr14-12, 05:33 AM
P: 11
I have just been to the doctors and had my blood pressure taken. My blood pressure was 106 over 66 and the time before it was 98 over 72. The doctor said it was low, but what exactly does low blood pressure mean? and why does it keep changing?
Also how many times is your heart suppose to beat in a minute, mine was 78. is that normal?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Classes aim to hook US blacks on African foods
Nigeria death shows Ebola can spread by air travel
Trial in salmonella outbreak to start in Georgia
tiny-tim
Apr14-12, 08:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
oh come off it, Sofie, there's obviously nothing to worry about, or your doctor would have said so!

different people have different blood pressure, and it changes a little every time it's taken

(if your doctor had measured you on his fantastically accurate height machine , and had told you that you were of lower than average height, would that worry you?)
stop trawling the internet, and go out and enjoy the sunshine!
Evo
Apr14-12, 12:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,460
Quote Quote by Sofie1990 View Post
I have just been to the doctors and had my blood pressure taken. My blood pressure was 106 over 66 and the time before it was 98 over 72. The doctor said it was low, but what exactly does low blood pressure mean? and why does it keep changing?
Also how many times is your heart suppose to beat in a minute, mine was 78. is that normal?
Your blood pressure is a bit low, but it is not low enough to be considered "low blood pressure". Yours is not in an unhealthy range, it could actually mean that you are very fit.

What Is Low Blood Pressure?

Hypotension is the medical term for low blood pressure (less than 90/60) with no symptoms.

A blood pressure reading appears as two numbers. The first and higher of the two is a measure of systolic pressure, or the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats and fills them with blood. The second number measures diastolic pressure, or the pressure in the arteries when the heart rests between beats.

Normal blood pressure is usually in the range of 120/80 (systolic/diastolic). In healthy people, especially athletes, low blood pressure is a sign of good cardiovascular (heart and blood vessel) health.
http://www.webmd.com/heart/understan...ressure-basics

Register to reply