Fluid Dynamics: Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation

In summary, this equation describes the orthostatic pressure that is exerted on the blood vessels and brain. Orthostatic pressure can cause dizziness and other symptoms, and it is important to be aware of it and to take steps to avoid it.
Umair Shariff
Hi everyone, I have been hunting all over the Internet for an explanation to changes in the blood pressure when sitting, standing or lying down. I know the complex mechanisms that are involved but I need an equation for an ideal system with the heart in the middle and the pressure that needs to be generated to drive blood to the brain in various positions.

It has been a long time since I studied physics and fluid dynamics, but this equation, F=2gh, keeps popping up in my head. I'd appreciate if someone could either verify and confirm this or provide me with an alternate equation

Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
I can't give you a good answer. But you need to revisit some assumptions. I believe.
In mammals like giraffes there are special arterial valves to control BP in the head for example as it moves head up/down to browse on low shrubs. All mammals and people have ways to alter BP that involve hormones like vasodilators and valve structures in veins as well. So, you need to consider the "control" system as it were.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong here:
In other words there is a whole lot more going on than you seem to describe. Anything that simple would be interesting but unlikely to be usefully accurate.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/he...enous-disorders/overview-of-the-venous-system

Here is a link with a partial discussion( full doc behind a paywall, sorry, if useful hit the local college library):
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s007910050030#page-1

Yes, I understand that the mechanisms involved to control blood pressure are varied including the means by which the body provides feedback on changes in pressure.

I am looking for a simple analogy to share with my friend so that he is better able to understand the difference in posture. This is by no means an academic venture and I need to be able to simply convey my meaning to him
jim mcnamara said:
I can't give you a good answer. But you need to revisit some assumptions. I believe.
In mammals like giraffes there are special arterial valves to control BP in the head for example as it moves head up/down to browse on low shrubs. All mammals and people have ways to alter BP that involve hormones like vasodilators and valve structures in veins as well. So, you need to consider the "control" system as it were.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong here:
In other words there is a whole lot more going on than you seem to describe. Anything that simple would be interesting but unlikely to be usefully accurate.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/he...enous-disorders/overview-of-the-venous-system

Here is a link with a partial discussion( full doc behind a paywall, sorry, if useful hit the local college library):
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s007910050030#page-1

Umair Shariff said:
Hi everyone, I have been hunting all over the Internet for an explanation to changes in the blood pressure when sitting, standing or lying down. I know the complex mechanisms that are involved but I need an equation for an ideal system with the heart in the middle and the pressure that needs to be generated to drive blood to the brain in various positions.

It has been a long time since I studied physics and fluid dynamics, but this equation, F=2gh, keeps popping up in my head. I'd appreciate if someone could either verify and confirm this or provide me with an alternate equation

Thank you

The basic idea of orthostatic pressure comes simply from the hydrostatic pressure head ΔP = ρgh, where ρ is the fluid density and h the height above (or below) a reference. When standing, the pressure at your feet is higher than the pressure at your head, for example. When you are lying down, your heart does not have to overcome that much orthostatic pressure, and so when you stand up rapidly, the blood pressure in your head temporarily drops.

This simple model has been applied to orthostatic intolerance disorder and bone loss resulting from long-duration microgravity. The reality is more complex, and the corresponding models become more complex. A good source text is "Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems: Modeling, Analysis and Control" (Batzel, Kappel, Schneditz and Tran).

Likes berkeman and jim mcnamara

1. What is the Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation?

The Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the change in blood pressure when a person transitions from a lying down position to a standing position. It takes into account factors such as gravity, hydrostatic pressure, and cardiac output to determine the difference in blood pressure readings.

2. Why is fluid dynamics important in understanding blood pressure changes?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as blood, move and behave in different conditions. It is important in understanding blood pressure changes because blood is a fluid and its movement is affected by factors such as gravity and cardiac output. By applying fluid dynamics principles, we can better understand and predict changes in blood pressure.

3. How is the Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation used in medical settings?

The Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation is often used in medical settings, such as hospitals and clinics, to monitor changes in blood pressure in patients. It can help healthcare professionals identify conditions such as orthostatic hypotension, which is a sudden drop in blood pressure upon standing, and adjust treatment accordingly.

4. Can the Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation be used for everyone?

The Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation is a general formula that can be used for most individuals. However, certain factors such as age, weight, and overall health may affect the accuracy of the equation. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for an individualized assessment of blood pressure changes.

5. Are there any limitations to the Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation?

Like any mathematical formula, the Orthostatic Blood Pressure Equation has its limitations. It may not accurately predict blood pressure changes in individuals with certain medical conditions, such as heart disease or kidney disease. Additionally, factors such as medication use and hydration levels may also affect the accuracy of the equation. It is important to use the equation in conjunction with other diagnostic tools and under the guidance of a healthcare professional.