Chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol?).

by APeterson
Tags: alcohol, bleach, chlorine, ethanol
APeterson
Apr28-12, 12:57 PM
P: 6
I recently saw a few videos on Youtube of people making a reaction by putting chlorine and alcohol together in a bottle. For the life of me I can't figure out why that reaction would work, and I wondered if anybody could give me an equation. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Penicillin redux: Rearming proven warriors for the 21st century
Researcher's computing testing could help identify toxic compounds
Water-splitting photocatalyst that is abundant and inexpensive with low toxicity discovered
qalomel
Apr29-12, 10:06 PM
P: 11
I'm guessing that hypochlorite oxidizes alcohol yielding carboxylic acid and chlorine gas.
Borek
Apr30-12, 01:39 AM
Admin
P: 22,650
Quote Quote by qalomel View Post
I'm guessing that hypochlorite oxidizes alcohol yielding carboxylic acid and chlorine gas.
If there is chlorine in products there was no oxidation.

qalomel
Apr30-12, 03:54 AM

Chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol?).

Chlorine had an oxidation state of +1 before the reaction. Afterwards, it is 0. Chlorine gains an electron in the reaction and thus it oxidizes something.
Borek
Apr30-12, 04:39 AM
Admin
Original question called for the presence of chlorine, not hypochlorite.
qalomel
Apr30-12, 02:41 PM
I was guessing that the original question (and the Youtube videos) referred to chlorine as household bleach.
Borek
Apr30-12, 03:47 PM
Admin
And it is quite possible you were right, I was just nitpicking
APeterson
May2-12, 02:58 PM
P: 6
Hmm. Thanks guys. I don't know if it was bleach or not, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't plain old Cl2. ;)
chemisttree
May2-12, 09:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
I believe it was calcium hypochlorite tablets or granules. Pretty concentrated hypochlorite. Household bleach is only about 5-6% hypochlorite in solution. The tablets are something like 70% active chlorine so they are a lot more reactive than bleach when heated. The heat is the thing that releases the chlorine rapidly. Once the reaction starts, the tablets heat up, decompose, produce lots of heat and gaseous products (like chlorine). It's autocatalytic with respect to heat and the decomposition product, chlorine, is quite reactive with hot isopropanol.

Edit: If you are interested in the mechanism or products produced, review "Haloform Reaction". Great Google term.

Register to reply