Creating Homemade Ferrofluid: Choosing the Right Solvent and Preventing Stains

In summary, the conversation is about making a ferromagnetic fluid using MICR toner powder and the speaker is seeking advice on the best ingredients and methods to use. They are also concerned about potential staining and the use of iron powder in the process.
itoero
I ordered MICR toner powder and want to make a ferromagnetic fluid and keep it in a bottle.

-First I need to make the ferrofluid.
I mix MICR toner with vegetable oil (or oleic acid) or kerosene.
Which of the two should I use?
What's the difference?

-I will put the ferrofluid in water.
On YouTube I saw a video in which someone used 70% ethanol/30% water.
Doesn't the oil of the ferrofluid solve in ethanol?

-How can I prevent stains from the ferrofluid on the glass of the bottle?

-Can I use iron powder to make the ferrofluid?

I hope someone can help me. I don't want to mess it up.:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
itoero said:
I mix MICR toner with vegetable oil (or oleic acid) or kerosene.

I don't know about your other questions, but mineral oil does not spoil or smell bad, nor is it particularly flammable.

Nor would iron powder oxidize inside of an oil.

1. What is homemade ferrofluid?

Homemade ferrofluid is a magnetic liquid made from a mixture of oil and tiny iron particles. It exhibits unique magnetic properties and can be easily made at home using simple materials.

2. How do I make homemade ferrofluid?

To make homemade ferrofluid, you will need oil, iron oxide powder, and a surfactant such as dish soap. Mix the oil and iron oxide powder together, add a few drops of dish soap, and stir until the iron particles are evenly distributed in the oil. Let the mixture sit for a few hours to allow the iron particles to settle at the bottom.

3. Can I use any type of oil for homemade ferrofluid?

Yes, you can use any type of oil for homemade ferrofluid. However, lighter oils such as mineral oil or baby oil tend to work better as they have lower viscosity and allow the iron particles to move more freely.

4. Is homemade ferrofluid safe to handle?

Homemade ferrofluid is generally safe to handle, but caution should be taken when handling the iron oxide powder. It can be an irritant to the skin and eyes, so it is recommended to wear gloves and protective eyewear when making or handling homemade ferrofluid.

5. What can I do with homemade ferrofluid?

Homemade ferrofluid can be used for various science experiments and demonstrations, such as creating magnetic sculptures or using it to simulate the behavior of magnetic fields. It can also be used in art projects and can make for a fun and unique science project for kids.