Chloramination and detecting chloramine with a total chlorine test.

• Thread starter Rexmundi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, chloramines are formed from the reaction between ammonia and chlorine, with a ratio of 10mg chlorine to 1mg ammonia. The process was tested with two dilute solutions, resulting in a decrease in concentrations until one reached zero. However, the final results showed unexpected values, with ammonia and free chlorine at 0.2 and 0.3 mg/L, respectively, and total chlorine dropping to 0.6 mg/L instead of staying constant. The question is raised whether this is due to experimental yield being lower than theoretical yield or the presence of chloramine not being detected by the test. Further experiments were conducted with an excess of ammonia, resulting in the desired outcome.
Rexmundi
Chloramines are produced by the reaction between ammonia and chlorine like this,

NH3 + HOCl → NH2Cl + H2O

I have read papers on water treatment that say that in application you need about 10mg of chlorine to react with each 1mg of ammonia.

Using a jug of household ammonia and a jug of bleach with a spectrophotometer to do the measurements I have prepared two extremely dilute solutions. The first has an ammonia concentration of 2 mg/L and the second has a total chlorine concentration of 10 mg/L and free chlorine concentration of 8 mg/L.

In theory I believe that mixing these two solutions at a 1:1 ratio would initially result in concentrations 50% of the original values because the amount of the substances isn't changing but the volume would double. Then as the reaction between the ammonia and free chlorine took place the concentrations of these two things would decrease until one of them became zero. This reaction changes the free chlorine to chloramine, which is also supposed to be picked up by total chlorine tests, so I thought the final value of total chlorine should be quite close to 5 mg/L.

When really trying it the final results I obtained after taking measurements every few minutes for an hour were 0.2 mg/L for ammonia and 0.3 mg/L for free chlorine. I do not know why these did not go to zero but maybe the reaction just becomes very slow at lower concentrations.
The big problem is that the total chlorine dropped to 0.6 mg/L instead of staying relatively constant.

Where did all the chlorine go?
Is this just an example of experimental yield being much lower than theoretical yield?
Could there be chloramine in the final sample which is just not being seen by the test?

If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Could it be that http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01623a010"

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemisttree, thank you, this was very interesting and helpful. As I said I had been mixing the ammonia and chlorine with an excess of Cl but now I have tried it with an excess of ammonia as Audrieth and Rowe suggest in that paper.
As might be expected the final mixture still has a lot of ammonia in it but the free Cl goes to zero and the total Cl stays steady - exactly what I was looking for.

What is chloramination and why is it used?

Chloramination is the process of adding ammonia to drinking water that has already been treated with chlorine. This is done to maintain a residual disinfectant in the water distribution system and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Chloramine is a less volatile and longer-lasting disinfectant compared to free chlorine, making it more effective for long-distance water distribution.

How is chloramine detected with a total chlorine test?

Chloramine can be detected with a total chlorine test by using a test kit that measures both free and combined chlorine levels. The kit contains a reagent that reacts with free chlorine, turning the water pink, and a second reagent that reacts with combined chlorine, turning the water yellow. By subtracting the free chlorine reading from the total chlorine reading, the level of chloramine can be determined.

What are the potential health effects of chloramine in drinking water?

Chloramine is considered safe for consumption at low levels, but it can have adverse health effects in some individuals, such as skin and eye irritation, and respiratory issues. It may also react with certain medications, so it is important to consult with a doctor if you have concerns about chloramine in your drinking water.

How does chloramination affect the taste and odor of drinking water?

Chloramination can cause a noticeable change in the taste and odor of drinking water. Some people may describe the taste as being more "chemically" or "medicinal" compared to water treated with free chlorine. Additionally, chloramine can react with organic compounds in the water, producing compounds that can give off a musty or fishy odor.

How can chloramine be removed from drinking water?

There are several ways to remove chloramine from drinking water, such as using a reverse osmosis filter, activated carbon filter, or aeration system. Boiling water will also remove chloramine, but it may not be practical for large quantities. It is important to use a filter that specifically states it can remove chloramine, as not all filters are effective against this disinfectant.