Modeling of Fluid(air) in ProE/ANSYS

by adilsyyed
Tags: ansys, proe
Share this thread:
adilsyyed
May11-12, 12:26 PM
P: 26
Hello.
I want to do a thermal analysis of a cabinet having air. Its the temperature distribution I am interested in.
How can I model air, and mesh it.
I am a newbie to ANSYS.
So actually the questions are
1. Can I model air in Pro E
2. Can I model/mesh it in ANSYS.
3. Do I need Ansys CFX?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Mech_Engineer
May14-12, 09:59 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
Honestly if you're new to ANSYS and don't understand the concepts and tradeoffs of FEA in general, you and your company are better off paying a subcontractor to do the analysis. That being said:

1) You're better off using ANSYS Workbench since it can fill volumes for the purpose of a CFD or emag analysis. Simplification of the model is key though.

2) You're better off importing the model from Pro-E or some other fully-featured CAD package.

3) Yes, CFX is one of ANSYS' CFD packages and will be required for a coupled thermal/fluid analysis.
chaos_zzy
May14-12, 10:04 AM
P: 10
Agree with Mech_Engineer,

If you are working on HVAC project, Airpack will be a good choice. And you can find similar tutorials, for quick start.

adilsyyed
May14-12, 12:19 PM
Modeling of Fluid(air) in ProE/ANSYS

Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
Honestly if you're new to ANSYS and don't understand the concepts and tradeoffs of FEA in general, you and your company are better off paying a subcontractor to do the analysis. That being said:

1) You're better off using ANSYS Workbench since it can fill volumes for the purpose of a CFD or emag analysis. Simplification of the model is key though.

2) You're better off importing the model from Pro-E or some other fully-featured CAD package.

3) Yes, CFX is one of ANSYS' CFD packages and will be required for a coupled thermal/fluid analysis.
Thank you for the detail reply. It really helps.

And I am a student and it is a project.
Now I am doing the analysis in ANSYS CFX.

But just out of curiosity, what steps would you follow if you would do it in ANSYS (not Workbench)?
Mech_Engineer
May14-12, 01:52 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
ANSYS CFX is only the fluid mechanics part of the code; if you're wanting to do a coupled thermal analysis you're going to have to couple with ANSYS mechanical.

Honestly there's just no way to explain how to do set up the kind of problem you're proposing through an internet forum. You're going to have to look at example applications in the ANSYS help and/or take a course in solving coupled multiphysics problems using the software.
adilsyyed
May14-12, 02:55 PM
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
ANSYS CFX is only the fluid mechanics part of the code; if you're wanting to do a coupled thermal analysis you're going to have to couple with ANSYS mechanical.

Honestly there's just no way to explain how to do set up the kind of problem you're proposing through an internet forum. You're going to have to look at example applications in the ANSYS help and/or take a course in solving coupled multiphysics problems using the software.
I have installed Ansys multiphysics + CFX.
I am using Pro-E to model, then import it to ANSYS CFX Mesher, then ANSYS CFX Pre-, Solver and Post.

Am I doing it right?
erichp
May16-12, 01:19 PM
P: 3
To answer your question about modeling air (or any fluid region) in Pro/E, you can. I make a new part (usually a rectangular or cylindrical solid) that is large enough to enclose my fluid region. I then insert that part to the relevant assembly, and use the "cutout" component operation to remove the intersecting volume of the solid parts from the fluid part. I then import the assembly (or just the fluid part if that's all I need) into ANSYS and go from there.

Alternatively, there are methods of creating fluid regions in ANSYS DesignModeler as well.

Register to reply