ANSYS Material Models: Compression vs Tension

In summary: For an orthotropic material, we only need to worry about two material properties.These material properties areThe Young's modulus.The Poisson's ratio.
Martin1234
Hello,
I am doing a non-linear analysis in ANSYS.
I have curve for the strain,stress curve for the material in tension, however, in the problem I'm working on I'm compressing the material. Does anyone know, if ANSYS just mirrors the material curve about origo as I have not given it data for compression but only tension?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the kind of material you're analyzing. Some materials show very different properties in tension vs compression (ceramics, composites). Most ductile metals have similar performance in compression and tension, and so are not typically modeled with tension/compression material models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressive_strength#Comparison_of_compressive_and_tensile_strengths

Wikiepdia said:
Concrete and ceramics typically have much higher compressive strengths than tensile strengths. Composite materials, such as glass fiber epoxy matrix composite, tend to have higher tensile strengths than compressive strengths. Metals tend to have tensile and compressive strengths that are very similar.

You must be careful not to confuse "strength" and "modulus" for materials. The above statements are related to such things as "yield strength" or "compressive strength" which are related to the load/stress point at which a material will either transform from elastic to plastic deformation or suffer a tensile or compressive failure but do not necessarily imply or indicate that the tensile and compressive modulus (strain vs stress) is different.

JBA said:
but do not necessarily imply or indicate that the tensile and compressive modulus (strain vs stress) is different

I think what you're describing is an isotropic vs. orthotropic material yes? ANSYS and other FEA packages do support both isotropic and several orthotropic material models. However, stress transformation techniques are typically used for modeling tension/compression in a ductile material, such that Young's modulus and Poisson's Ratio are enough to model most isotropic materials. Compression forces (and in some cases torsional moments) will manifest as shear and out-of-plane stresses in this case.

Wikiversity.org said:
For an isotropic material we have to deal with three material properties of which only two are independent.

These material properties are
  1. The Young's modulus (also called the modulus of elasticity).
  2. The Poisson's ratio.
  3. The shear modulus (also called the modulus of rigidity).

compression-037.jpg

1. What is the difference between compression and tension in ANSYS material models?

Compression and tension are two types of stress that can be applied to a material in ANSYS. Compression is a type of stress that pushes or squeezes the material, while tension is a type of stress that pulls or stretches the material. The main difference between the two is the direction of the force applied to the material. In compression, the force is applied towards the center of the material, while in tension, the force is applied away from the center.

2. Can the same material model be used for both compression and tension in ANSYS?

Yes, the same material model can be used for both compression and tension in ANSYS. However, it is important to note that the material properties may behave differently under these two types of stress. Therefore, it is recommended to carefully select the appropriate material model based on the type of stress that will be applied.

3. How does ANSYS handle non-linear material behavior under compression and tension?

ANSYS has several material models that can handle non-linear material behavior under compression and tension. These models take into account factors such as strain-rate, temperature, and stress history to accurately predict the material's behavior. Some commonly used material models for non-linear behavior include plasticity, hyperelasticity, and viscoelasticity.

4. Can ANSYS material models consider the effects of strain rate on compression and tension?

Yes, ANSYS material models can consider the effects of strain rate on compression and tension. This is important because the rate at which a material is loaded can greatly affect its behavior. For example, some materials may exhibit brittle behavior at high strain rates, while they behave ductile at lower strain rates. ANSYS has specific material models that take into account the effects of strain rate on material behavior.

5. How can I determine the appropriate material model for my ANSYS simulation?

The appropriate material model for an ANSYS simulation depends on various factors such as the type of material, loading conditions, and the desired accuracy of the simulation. It is recommended to consult with material experts or refer to ANSYS documentation to select the most suitable material model for a specific simulation. Additionally, performing validation tests and comparing the results with experimental data can also help in determining the appropriate material model.