Modeling Jet Fans in Parking Ventilation in Ansys CFX

In summary, the speaker is new to CFD and is modeling a parking ventilation system in ansys CFX. They are having trouble modeling jet fans and have created an inlet, outlet, and sub domains for the fans. They have also simulated a fire using a flow inlet and additional variable. However, the results seem unrealistic and the speaker is asking for feedback on their methodology and for tips on how to model the jet fans and smoke accurately. They have looked at jet fan manufacturers' websites for technical information but still need assistance with their specific difficulties.
tj00343
Hi , I'm new to CFD. I'm modeling a parking ventilation system in ansys CFX. I'm having some trouble modeling the jet fans . I went as follows. I created a fresh air inlet (Opening BC), an exhuast outlet (outlet BC) and in the middle I distributed jet fans .The jet fans are modeled as sub domains with momentum sources(momentum calculated from the thrust). In addition, I simulated a fire through flow inlet BC at a surface with and additional variable(smoke). I ran a transient analysis. The problem is the results seem unreal.
Generally, how does my methodology look. Am I on the right track. Any tips or ideas about why my results seem unreal.
Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've just looked at some jet fan manufacturers websites . In each case they give comprehensive technical information about their products .

The information provided seems to tell you everything you need to know .

Please describe what specific difficulties you have .

Last edited:
My specific difficulties have to do with how to numerically model the jet fans and smoke in ansys cfx

1. What is Ansys CFX and how is it used in modeling jet fans in parking ventilation?

Ansys CFX is a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software that is used to simulate the behavior of fluids and gases in different engineering applications. It is commonly used in modeling jet fans in parking ventilation to analyze the air flow and temperature distribution in parking garages.

2. What are jet fans and why are they important in parking ventilation?

Jet fans are mechanical fans that are used to improve air circulation and reduce pollutants in enclosed spaces, such as parking garages. They are important in parking ventilation because they help to remove exhaust gases and control air flow within the garage, improving air quality and safety for both vehicles and pedestrians.

3. How does Ansys CFX simulate the behavior of jet fans in parking ventilation?

Ansys CFX uses computational fluid dynamics algorithms to solve the Navier-Stokes equations, which govern the behavior of fluids and gases. These equations are solved numerically to simulate the flow of air and heat transfer in and around the jet fans in a parking garage. The software also allows for the incorporation of real-world conditions, such as wind and temperature differentials, to provide a more accurate simulation.

4. What are the benefits of modeling jet fans in parking ventilation with Ansys CFX?

Modeling jet fans in parking ventilation with Ansys CFX allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the air flow and temperature distribution in a parking garage. This can help in the design and optimization of ventilation systems, leading to improved air quality, energy efficiency, and safety for users of the garage. It also allows for the evaluation of different scenarios and potential design changes without the need for costly physical prototypes.

5. Are there any limitations to modeling jet fans in parking ventilation with Ansys CFX?

Like any simulation software, Ansys CFX has its limitations. It relies on accurate inputs and assumptions to produce reliable results, and the quality of the simulation is highly dependent on the user's expertise and understanding of the software. It is important to validate the results of the simulation with real-world data and consider other factors, such as maintenance and system reliability, when designing a parking ventilation system.