Coordinates from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a custom coordinate system for a fluid analysis on cerebral aneurysms. The person is using Ansys Mechanical to mesh their geometry and has created a new coordinate system at the inlet of the aneurysm. However, they are unsure of how to make this custom system the default one instead of the global coordinate system. Ansys Fluent also offers a translate mesh option, but it is not enough to align the mesh axes and the person is seeking suggestions for a solution.
superduke1200
Dear all,

I am implementing a fluid analysis on cerebral aneurysms and it is obligatory to apply the origin of my coordinate system at the inlet of the aneurysm.I use Ansys Mechanical for the meshing of my geometry which comes with a pre-applied Global coordinate system. I am able to create a new coordinate system at the inlet of the aneurysm ( 1st image attached ), but my query is as follows;how can I use my 'Custom' coordinate system applied on the Inlet as the default one instead of the global?You see, after I have created my mesh, I am using Ansys Fluent and I must use the 'Custom' coordinate system in order to have accurate results when I calculate coordinate related factors. Fluent uses the Global one, created by default in Mechanical.I have already tried the 'Translate Mesh' option ( 2nd Image attached) based on the offsets derived from Mechanical, but it is not enough, because an alignment of the axes on the Mesh is required. Unfortunately, the 'rotate mesh' option is not adequate to create a correlation from the data provided in Mechanical.Every thought is welcome.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Καταγραφή33.JPG

Ansys Mechanical Global and 'Local' coordinate system at the 'Inlet'
Καταγραφή44.JPG

Ansys Fluent offers a translate mesh option. Useful but not enough in order to align the Mesh

Attachments

• Καταγραφή33.JPG
    Καταγραφή33.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 830
  • Καταγραφή44.JPG
    Καταγραφή44.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 916

What is the purpose of transferring coordinates from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent?

The purpose of transferring coordinates from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent is to ensure consistency and accuracy in the simulation results. Ansys Mechanical is used for structural analysis while Ansys Fluent is used for fluid flow analysis. By transferring the coordinates, the two software programs can work together to provide a more comprehensive simulation of a system.

How do I transfer coordinates from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent?

To transfer coordinates from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent, you will need to export the mesh from Ansys Mechanical in a format that is compatible with Ansys Fluent, such as ANSYS CDB format. Then, in Ansys Fluent, you can import the mesh and the corresponding coordinates will be transferred automatically.

Do I need to modify the coordinates after transferring them from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent?

In most cases, the coordinates do not need to be modified after transferring them from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent. However, if there are any discrepancies or errors in the mesh, you may need to make adjustments to the coordinates in Ansys Fluent to ensure an accurate simulation.

How can I ensure the accuracy of the transferred coordinates?

To ensure the accuracy of the transferred coordinates, it is important to carefully check the mesh in both Ansys Mechanical and Ansys Fluent. Make sure that all elements and nodes are properly connected and that there are no overlapping or missing elements. You can also run a test simulation with simplified geometry to verify the accuracy of the coordinates.

Are there any limitations to transferring coordinates from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent?

There may be limitations to transferring coordinates from Ansys Mechanical to Ansys Fluent, particularly if the two software programs are not fully compatible. It is important to check the compatibility and supported file formats of both programs before attempting to transfer coordinates. Additionally, complex geometries or mesh structures may also pose challenges for transferring coordinates accurately.