Trajectory plotting.

by peripatein
Tags: plotting, trajectory
Share this thread:
peripatein
Nov12-12, 11:52 AM
P: 818
Hello,

How may I plot the trajectory of a particle whose movement vectors are given as:
x(t) = Rwt - Rsin(wt)
y(t) = R - Rcos(wt)

I have tried squaring both x and y and adding them, to infer some sort of circular trajectory, to no avail. Could someone please assist/make a suggestion?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
bigfooted
Nov12-12, 12:00 PM
P: 286
You didn't mention in what plotting program (matlab,scilab, gnuplot) but usually, you need to create a vector of values for time first, then calculate the x and y vectors and plot y against x.
e.g. in matlab and scilab you do:
t=0:0.1:10
x=t-sin(t)
y=1-cos(t)
plot(x,y)
peripatein
Nov12-12, 12:01 PM
I am not supposed to use any program, simply infer the general scheme of the trajectory from the equations. Any ideas?

bigfooted
Nov12-12, 12:36 PM
P: 286
Trajectory plotting.

OK, then do this:

start from t=0 to get the starting point (x,y).
Then, knowing that (x,y)=(-Rsin(t),-Rcos(t)) describes a circle of radius R, what will happen if every y-value is moved up by R? You simply translate your circle.

Then, what happens if every x-value is moved right by Rt? It will not be a circle anymore. For instance, the end-point at t=2*pi (when w=1) will have moved to x=R*2*pi. You can take one or two other t-values to get the shape.

I have taken w=1, but it is easy to generalize the above approach.
peripatein
Nov12-12, 02:16 PM
Supposing now that the particle's trajectory is given by at^2+bt, where units of a are m/s^2 and units of b are m/s. How am I to calculate its tangential and centripetal accelerations? I know that the radial acceleration is equal to r*w^2 but what about the tangential acceleration and how is all of that related to the trajectory as given with parameters a and b? Do I simply differentiate twice wrt t?

Register to reply