Finding a Parametric Solution for Particle Trajectory in Magnetic Field

In summary, this is a solution to a problem involving a particle moving in a uniform magnetic field with air resistance. The model predicts a constant angle between acceleration and velocity, with an expression for the angle between the two. By using the cyclotron frequency and an auxiliary variable, the equations for the components of acceleration can be simplified and solved to find the trajectory. The final solution involves parametric equations for x and y, with a graph showing the trajectory.
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
Homework Statement
Find the trajectory of a particle the acceleration of which is fixed at angle ##\varphi > \pi/2## relative to the velocity.
Relevant Equations
Newton's second law.
This is a solution to a problem inspired by another thread. It is posted here to separate it from the multiple choice question which was the subject of that thread. A parametric solution for the trajectory can be found quite easily if the motion is modeled as a particle with charge ##q## moving in a uniform magnetic field ##\mathbf{B}=B~\mathbf{\hat z}##. In addition to the Lorentz force, air resistance provides retarding force ##\mathbf{F}_{\text{ret.}}=-b\mathbf{v}.##

First we prove that this model predicts a constant angle between acceleration and velocity and find an expression for the angle ##\varphi## between acceleration and velocity. We assume that the particle moves in the ##xy##-plane. From Newton's second law we have $$\begin{align}\mathbf{a}=\frac{1}{m}(q\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B}-b\mathbf{v}).\end{align}$$Then, noting that ##\mathbf{v}\cdot(\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B})=0##, $$\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}=\frac{1}{m}\mathbf{v}\cdot[q(\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B})-b\mathbf{v}]=-\frac{bv^2}{m}$$Also, $$\begin{align} \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a} =a^2 & =\frac{1}{m}(q\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B}-b\mathbf{v})\cdot \frac{1}{m}(q\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B}-b\mathbf{v})\nonumber \\ & =\frac{1}{m^2}({q^2B^2v^2+b^2v^2})\implies a=\frac{1}{m}(q^2 B^2 v^2+b^2 v^2)^{1/2}.\nonumber \end{align}$$The cosine of the angle between acceleration and velocity is constant and given by $$\begin{align} \cos\!\varphi=\frac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}}{va}=-\frac{b}{(q^2B^2+b^2)^{1/2}}\end{align}.$$ We now write Newton's second law in two dimensions to find the trajectory. To simplify the form of the equations we use the cyclotron frequency ##\omega_c=qB/m## and auxiliary variable ##\beta=b/m##. Then from equation (1) the components of the acceleration are
$$\begin{align} & \dot v_x =\omega_c v_y-\beta v_x \\ & \dot v_y=-\omega_c v_x-\beta v_y. \end{align}$$The two coupled equations can be solved quite easily by changing variables, $$\xi=v_x+iv_y~;~~\eta = v_x-iv_y$$ in which case equations (3) and (4) become $$
\begin{align} & \dot{\xi}+\dot{\eta}=-i\omega_c(\xi-\eta)-\beta(\xi+\eta) \nonumber \\&\dot{\xi}-\dot{\eta}=-i\omega_c(\xi+\eta)-\beta(\xi-\eta). \nonumber \end{align}$$ Adding the equations yields $$\begin{align} &\dot {\xi} =-(i\omega_c+\beta)\xi\implies \xi=Ae^{-\beta t}e^{-i\omega_c t} \nonumber \\ & \dot{\eta}=\dot {\xi}^*= A^*e^{-\beta t}e^{i\omega_c t} .\nonumber \end{align}$$We can now employ the definitions for ##\xi## and ##\eta## and use the initial conditions ##v_x(0)=v_0## and ##v_y(0)=0## to find $$\begin{align} & v_x(t)=v_0e^{-\beta t}\cos(\omega_c t) \nonumber \\ & v_y(t) = v_0e^{-\beta t}\sin(\omega_c t). \nonumber \end{align}$$Finally, we integrate to find ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## such that ##v_x(0)=v_0## and ##v_y(0)=0##: $$\begin{align} & x(t)=\frac{v_0e^{-\beta t}}{\beta^2+\omega_c^2}[\omega_c\sin(\omega_c t)-\beta \cos(\omega_c t)]\nonumber \\ & y(t)=\frac{v_0e^{-\beta t}}{\beta^2+\omega_c^2}[\omega_c\cos(\omega_c t)+\beta \sin(\omega_c t)]\nonumber \end{align}$$ The graph below is a parametric plot of the trajectory with parameters as shown.

Trajectory.png

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes berkeman, DrClaude, PeroK and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
It's going to take some dissecting to see how far off I was. Thanks for sharing!

Likes ChiralSuperfields and kuruman
kuruman said:
Homework Statement:: Find the trajectory of a particle the acceleration of which is fixed at angle ##\varphi > \pi/2## relative to the velocity.
Relevant Equations:: Newton's second law.

This is a solution to a problem inspired by another thread. It is posted here to separate it from the multiple choice question which was the subject of that thread. A parametric solution for the trajectory can be found quite easily if the motion is modeled as a particle with charge ##q## moving in a uniform magnetic field ##\mathbf{B}=B~\mathbf{\hat z}##. In addition to the Lorentz force, air resistance provides retarding force ##\mathbf{F}_{\text{ret.}}=-b\mathbf{v}.##

First we prove that this model predicts a constant angle between acceleration and velocity and find an expression for the angle ##\varphi## between acceleration and velocity. We assume that the particle moves in the ##xy##-plane. From Newton's second law we have $$\begin{align}\mathbf{a}=\frac{1}{m}(q\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B}-b\mathbf{v}).\end{align}$$Then, noting that ##\mathbf{v}\cdot(\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B})=0##, $$\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}=\frac{1}{m}\mathbf{v}\cdot[q(\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B})-b\mathbf{v}]=-\frac{bv^2}{m}$$Also, $$\begin{align} \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a} =a^2 & =\frac{1}{m}(q\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B}-b\mathbf{v})\cdot \frac{1}{m}(q\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B}-b\mathbf{v})\nonumber \\ & =\frac{1}{m^2}({q^2B^2v^2+b^2v^2})\implies a=\frac{1}{m}(q^2 B^2 v^2+b^2 v^2)^{1/2}.\nonumber \end{align}$$The cosine of the angle between acceleration and velocity is constant and given by $$\begin{align} \cos\!\varphi=\frac{\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}}{va}=-\frac{b}{(q^2B^2+b^2)^{1/2}}\end{align}.$$ We now write Newton's second law in two dimensions to find the trajectory. To simplify the form of the equations we use the cyclotron frequency ##\omega_c=qB/m## and auxiliary variable ##\beta=b/m##. Then from equation (1) the components of the acceleration are
$$\begin{align} & \dot v_x =\omega_c v_y-\beta v_x \\ & \dot v_y=-\omega_c v_x-\beta v_y. \end{align}$$The two coupled equations can be solved quite easily by changing variables, $$\xi=v_x+iv_y~;~~\eta = v_x-iv_y$$ in which case equations (2) and (3) become $$
\begin{align} & \dot{\xi}+\dot{\eta}=-i\omega_c(\xi-\eta)-\beta(\xi+\eta) \nonumber \\&\dot{\xi}-\dot{\eta}=-i\omega_c(\xi+\eta)-\beta(\xi-\eta). \nonumber \end{align}$$ Adding the equations yields $$\begin{align} &\dot {\xi} =-(i\omega_c+\beta)\xi\implies \xi=Ae^{-\beta t}e^{-i\omega_c t} \nonumber \\ & \dot{\eta}=\dot {\xi}^*= A^*e^{-\beta t}e^{i\omega_c t} .\nonumber \end{align}$$We can now employ the definitions for ##\xi## and ##\eta## and use the initial conditions ##v_x(0)=v_0## and ##v_y(0)=0## to find $$\begin{align} & v_x(t)=v_0e^{-\beta t}\cos(\omega_c t) \nonumber \\ & v_y(t) = v_0e^{-\beta t}\sin(\omega_c t). \nonumber \end{align}$$Finally, we integrate to find ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## such that ##v_x(0)=v_0## and ##v_y(0)=0##: $$\begin{align} & x(t)=\frac{v_0e^{-\beta t}}{\beta^2+\omega_c^2}[\omega_c\sin(\omega_c t)-\beta \cos(\omega_c t)]\nonumber \\ & y(t)=\frac{v_0e^{-\beta t}}{\beta^2+\omega_c^2}[\omega_c\cos(\omega_c t)+\beta \sin(\omega_c t)]\nonumber \end{align}$$ The graph below is a parametric plot of the trajectory with parameters as shown.

View attachment 321236
Very nice!

Likes kuruman
This is a fun problem. I usually have this setup in my "simulation of motion" module (it is one problem which the students can choose to study) and I present the "algebraic" solution as a bonus when the module is finished.

Likes PeroK

1. What is a parametric solution for particle trajectory in magnetic field?

A parametric solution for particle trajectory in magnetic field refers to a mathematical representation of the path that a charged particle takes when moving through a magnetic field. It takes into account the particle's initial position, velocity, and the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. Why is it important to find a parametric solution for particle trajectory in magnetic field?

Understanding the trajectory of a charged particle in a magnetic field is crucial in many scientific fields, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and plasma physics. It allows us to predict the behavior of particles in various environments and design experiments or technologies that involve the manipulation of charged particles.

3. How is a parametric solution for particle trajectory in magnetic field calculated?

The parametric solution is calculated using the Lorentz force equation, which takes into account the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric field and a magnetic field. This equation can be solved using numerical methods or analytical methods, depending on the complexity of the magnetic field and particle motion.

4. What are some common applications of a parametric solution for particle trajectory in magnetic field?

A parametric solution for particle trajectory in magnetic field has many practical applications, including particle accelerators, magnetic confinement fusion, particle detectors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology. It is also used in space exploration to study the behavior of charged particles in the Earth's magnetic field and in the interplanetary space.

5. Are there any limitations to the parametric solution for particle trajectory in magnetic field?

While the parametric solution provides a useful mathematical representation of particle motion in a magnetic field, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the particle is a point charge and does not take into account other forces that may act on the particle, such as gravitational or electric forces. Additionally, it may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in highly complex magnetic fields or in extreme conditions.