Position vector for anti-clockwise circular motion derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the equation for a particle in uniform anti-clockwise circular motion, which is given by ##\vec r(t) = (-Rsin(\omega t), Rcos(\omega t))##. The conversation also addresses the importance of visualizing the motion and having a good understanding of the behavior of sine and cosine functions.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am trying to derive the equation for a particle in uniform anti-clockwise circular motion. According to the lecture notes, this equation is ##\vec r(t) = (-Rsin(\omega t), Rcos(\omega t))##
Relevant Equations
##\omega = \frac{d\theta}{dt}##
##\vec r(t) = (-Rsin(\omega t), Rcos(\omega t))##
To derive ##\vec r (t)=(−Rsin(ωt),Rcos(ωt)) ##

I start by integrating ##ω=\frac{dθ}{dt}## to get ##θ_f=θ_i+ωt##.

Therefore since ##Δθ=θ## by definition since the angular displacement is always taken with respect to some initial reference line, then ##θ_f−θ_i=θ## , thus, ##\theta = \omega t##.

Therefore, from ##x = r\cos\theta## we get ##x = r\cos\omega t## and for ##y = r\sin\theta = r\sin\omega t## which gives our position vector to be ##\vec r(t) = (r\cos\omega t, r\sin\omega t)##.

However, this is incorrect when compared to the lecture notes. Does someone please know what I did wrong here?

Here is a picture of the physical setup.
1691398652289.png

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the start point (position when ##t = 0##). The equation in the lecture notes uses a different start point to yours.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
with respect to some initial reference line
There is the polar coordinate system ##r,\theta,## where ##\theta = 0## is along the positive ##x##-axis.

So that $$\vec r(t) = (-R\sin\omega t, R\cos\omega t)$$ describes a position as a function of time with ##\vec r(0) = (0, 1)##, i.e. starting on the positive ##y##-axis. The time derivative is $$\dot{\vec r} (t) = (-\omega R\cos\omega t, \omega R\sin\omega t)$$ So at ##t=0## the motion is to the left, counter clockwise.

[edit]ah, slow typist...

note: use \cos and \sin and no brackets in ##\LaTeX##

Likes ChiralSuperfields and Lnewqban
Steve4Physics said:
Consider the start point (position when ##t = 0##). The equation in the lecture notes uses a different start point to yours.
BvU said:
There is the polar coordinate system ##r,\theta,## where ##\theta = 0## is along the positive ##x##-axis.

So that $$\vec r(t) = (-R\sin\omega t, R\cos\omega t)$$ describes a position as a function of time with ##\vec r(0) = (0, 1)##, i.e. starting on the positive ##y##-axis. The time derivative is $$\dot{\vec r} (t) = (-\omega R\cos\omega t, \omega R\sin\omega t)$$ So at ##t=0## the motion is to the left, counter clockwise.

[edit]ah, slow typist...

note: use \cos and \sin and no brackets in ##\LaTeX##
Thank you for your help @Steve4Physics and @BvU!

I think I understand now. Yeah, the lecture notes did not specify where the uniform circular motion started, so I assumed it started on the positive x-axis by convention. However, I will try to derive the position equation for the motion starting at the positive y-axis.

Many thanks!

Likes berkeman
ChiralSuperfields said:
the lecture notes did not specify where the uniform circular motion started, so I assumed it started on the positive x-axis by convention.
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: I am trying to derive the equation for a particle in uniform anti-clockwise circular motion. According to the lecture notes, this equation is ##\vec r(t) = (-Rsin(\omega t), Rcos(\omega t))##
The first thing I did when seeing your thread start today was to try to visualize the motion expressed by that equation. So that pretty quickly led me to the non-standard starting point.

IMO, it's good to get in the habit of visualizing the motion expressed by an equation when you first see it. It gets easier as you do it more and more often, and helps to get your mind right for working the rest of the problem. :smile:

Edit/Add -- Part of being able to visualize something like this quickly is to have memorized what sin and cos functions look like, especially around zero as an argument, and how that relates to motion around the unit circle.

1691444832333.png

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mplwp_sin_cos_tan_piaxis.svg

1691444955075.png

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics, ChiralSuperfields and Lnewqban
berkeman said:
The first thing I did when seeing your thread start today was to try to visualize the motion expressed by that equation. So that pretty quickly led me to the non-standard starting point.

IMO, it's good to get in the habit of visualizing the motion expressed by an equation when you first see it. It gets easier as you do it more and more often, and helps to get your mind right for working the rest of the problem. :smile:

Edit/Add -- Part of being able to visualize something like this quickly is to have memorized what sin and cos functions look like, especially around zero as an argument, and how that relates to motion around the unit circle.

View attachment 330249
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mplwp_sin_cos_tan_piaxis.svg

View attachment 330250
Thank you for your help @berkeman ! Good idea to try to visualize the motion.

Many thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of an object's position in space. It is typically denoted by the symbol r and is defined as a vector with a magnitude and direction that points from the origin to the object's location.

2. How is a position vector used in anti-clockwise circular motion derivation?

In anti-clockwise circular motion, the position vector is used to represent the changing position of an object as it moves around a fixed point. By analyzing the changes in the position vector, we can derive equations for the object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is the formula for the position vector in anti-clockwise circular motion?

The formula for the position vector in anti-clockwise circular motion is r = Rcos(ωt)i + Rsin(ωt)j, where R is the radius of the circular path, ω is the angular velocity, and i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively.

4. How do you derive the displacement, velocity, and acceleration equations from the position vector in anti-clockwise circular motion?

To derive the displacement, velocity, and acceleration equations, we use the position vector formula and take the derivatives with respect to time. The first derivative gives us the velocity vector, and the second derivative gives us the acceleration vector.

5. Can the position vector be used for clockwise circular motion as well?

Yes, the position vector can be used for both anti-clockwise and clockwise circular motion. The only difference is the direction of the angular velocity, which will be negative for clockwise motion. The rest of the derivation process remains the same.