Plotting the trajectory of a particle in polar coordinates

Lambda96
Homework Statement
Plot the curve of ##\rho(t)=\rho_0 + \rho_1 \sin^2(4 \pi t)##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

Unfortunately, I am not quite sure whether I have solved/plotted the following task correctly

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-05 um 15.40.22.png

I started by resolving the expression ##\phi=2 \pi t## to t so that I can represent ##\rho(t)## with ##\rho(\phi)##

The vector ##\vec{e}_r## was written in my lecture as follows ##\vec{e}_{\rho}## , ##\vec{e}_{\rho}= \left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##

Then the position vector is ##\vec{r}(\phi)=\rho(\phi) \vec{e}_{\rho}=(\rho_0+\rho_1 \sin^2(2 \phi) ) \left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##

Then I plotted this expression using Mathematica from ##0## to ##2 \pi##

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-05 um 16.04.07.png

Is that correct? Because doesn't the two different colors mean that I got the trajectory for two different particles instead of just one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the expression ##\rho = 0.1 + \sin^2(4\pi t)## is always greater than or equal to 0.1. So, the trajectory never gets closer than 0.1 to the origin.

The format for Mathematica's PolarPlot is

1701793023547.png

Here, ##r## is just your ##\rho## expressed as a function of ##\phi##, but without the ##\vec{e}_{\rho}= \left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##. By putting in ##\vec{e}_{\rho}= \left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##, you are essentially going to Cartesian coordinates where the x and y components are expressed in terms of the parameter ##\phi##. In that case, you could use Mathematica's ParametricPlot. However, I think using PolarPlot is simpler here.

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96
In addition to what @TSny said, can I add this.

Lambda96 said:
Then the position vector is ##\vec{r}(\phi)=\rho(\phi) \vec{e}_{\rho}=(\rho_0+\rho_1 \sin^2(2 \phi) ) \left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##
Note that ##(\rho_0+\rho_1 \sin^2(2 \phi))## is a scalar quantity. So

##(\rho_0+\rho_1 \sin^2(2 \phi) )\left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##

is equal to

## \left(\begin{array}{c} \rho_0\cos(\phi)+\rho_1 \sin^2(2 \phi)\cos(\phi) \\ \rho_0\sin(\phi)+\rho_1 \sin^2(2 \phi)\sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##

This doesn't match what you entered in Mathematica.

You might want practise/check by plotting a few simple curves of known shapes.

Thank you TSny and Steve4Physics for your help 👍👍

I have now redone the plot and got the following:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-05 um 19.00.05.png

Likes Steve4Physics and TSny
Looks good.

Likes Lambda96
If you want to use the command ParametricPlot, then the format is
1701800241740.png

So, for this problem we would have
1701800303332.png

Or, maybe less confusing,
1701800607050.png

Likes Lambda96
Thank you TSny for your help 👍 and also thank you for showing me how to plot the curve with ParametricPlot 👍 Since Mathematica is relatively new to me, this helped me a lot.

Likes TSny

1. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the formulas: r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and θ = arctan(y/x). Here, r represents the distance from the origin to the point, and θ is the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

2. What is the equation for the trajectory of a particle in polar coordinates?

The equation for the trajectory of a particle in polar coordinates is given by r = f(θ), where r represents the distance from the origin and θ is the angle. The function f(θ) describes how the distance changes as the angle varies.

3. How do you plot the trajectory of a particle in polar coordinates?

To plot the trajectory of a particle in polar coordinates, you can first calculate the values of r for various values of θ using the equation r = f(θ). Then, plot these points on a polar coordinate system where the angle θ is on the x-axis and the distance r is on the y-axis.

4. What are some common trajectories in polar coordinates?

Some common trajectories in polar coordinates include circles (r = constant), lines (θ = constant), limaçons (r = a + b*cos(θ)), and cardioids (r = a + b*cos(θ)). These trajectories exhibit different shapes based on the equations used.

5. How do you determine the direction of motion of a particle in polar coordinates?

To determine the direction of motion of a particle in polar coordinates, you can analyze how the values of r and θ change as the particle moves along its trajectory. If r is increasing with θ, the particle is moving outward; if r is decreasing with θ, the particle is moving inward. The direction of motion can also be inferred from the slope of the trajectory curve.