A particle P2 chases particle P1 with constant speed.

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of two particles with constant velocities chasing each other, starting at different points. The initial acceleration of the chasing particle, the ultimate separation between the two particles, and the trajectory of the chasing particle in the frame of the other particle are all calculated. The conversation also includes a link for further information on pursuit curves.
Ishan Sharma

Homework Statement

[/B]
A particle P1 moves with a constant velocity v along x-axis, starting from origin. Another particle
P2 chases particle P1
with constant speed v, starting from the point (0, d). Both motion begin
simultaneously. Find -

1. Initial acceleration of P2.
2. Ultimate Separation between P1 and P2
3. Whether the trajectory of P2 in frame of P1 will be Hyperbola or Parabola.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let r be the distance between 1 and 2 at any
time t.
$$vcosθ- v= \frac{dr}
{dt} ... (1) $$
$$vcos\theta= \frac{dx}
{dt} ... (2)$$

For the rest of solution, please refer the attachment.

My questions-

1. This ω, according to me is the rate of change of direction of velocity vector. Now, I couldn't think about dθ/dt directly. So, what I did was, I saw took the ω with respect to P1. Is that right? If not, what's the correct answer?
2. I don't know what to do with the trajectory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
mZnac.png

Attachments

• mZnac.png
    mZnac.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 582
Physics news on Phys.org
I am impressed by the elegance of your solution to the first part.
For ω, not sure what your difficulty is. The rate of rotation will be the same in all inertial frames.
For the trajectory, how does the relative x position relate to the terms in your dx=vdt+dr?

Likes Ishan Sharma
haruspex said:
For ω, not sure what your difficulty is. The rate of rotation will be the same in all inertial frames.
For the trajectory, how does the relative x position relate to the terms in your dx=vdt+dr?
I am not sure about ω because the two particle system can not be treated as a rigid body. So how can we say that ω with respect to (w.r.t) ground frame will be same as that w.r.t. any inertial frame?
And for trajectory, can we not give some qualitative or intuitive argument without forming the actual equation..? For eg: If we show that the distance of a particle from a fixed point is constant, we can say it moves in a circle. In case of conics, their definition can be used to find the nature of path. Can we say something similar about our question..?

Ishan Sharma said:
I am not sure about ω because the two particle system can not be treated as a rigid body. So how can we say that ω with respect to (w.r.t) ground frame will be same as that w.r.t. any inertial frame?
Yes, rate of rotation is the same in any inertial frame. Indeed, an accelerating frame is ok, as long as it is not itself rotating.
Ishan Sharma said:
And for trajectory, can we not give some qualitative or intuitive argument without forming the actual equation
You can give a geometric argument. After answering my question in post #3, look at https://amsi.org.au/ESA_Senior_Years/SeniorTopic2/2a/2a_2content_10.html.

Likes Ishan Sharma
r+Δx=d
⇒r=d-Δx
Thus the distance between focus and directrix is d and the distance between particles is always equal to distance between P2 and directrix. Thus the path is parabolic. Am I right, sir?

Ishan Sharma said:
r+Δx=d
⇒r=d-Δx
Thus the distance between focus and directrix is d and the distance between particles is always equal to distance between P2 and directrix. Thus the path is parabolic. Am I right, sir?
Yes.

1. What is the velocity of particle P2 in relation to particle P1?

The velocity of particle P2 in relation to particle P1 is constant, meaning that it remains the same throughout the chase. This is because P2 is chasing P1 with a constant speed.

2. What is the distance between particle P1 and P2 at any given time during the chase?

The distance between particle P1 and P2 at any given time during the chase is constantly changing. This can be calculated using the equation d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the constant speed, and t is the time elapsed.

3. Will particle P2 ever catch up to particle P1?

Yes, particle P2 will eventually catch up to particle P1 if they are both moving in the same direction with a constant speed. This is because P2 is constantly getting closer to P1 and there is no limit to how close they can get.

4. How does the mass of particle P1 affect the chase?

The mass of particle P1 does not affect the chase in terms of velocity or distance. However, if P1 has a significantly larger mass, it may be harder for P2 to catch up to it due to the difference in inertia.

5. What other factors may affect the chase between particle P1 and P2?

The chase may be affected by external forces such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, if P1 or P2 changes direction or speed during the chase, it will alter the dynamics of the chase. Other factors may include the shape and size of the particles, as well as the environment they are moving in.