Is our universe actually contained within a black hole?

In summary, 't Hooft suggests that information absorbed by a black hole increases its surface area, and it is postulated that our universe may be contained within a 3 dimensional projection of a 2 dimensional space. The possibility of a black hole projecting its event horizon into its confines and the expansion of our universe being due to an active period of our Universal Black Hole are speculative and controversial. Some propose that every black hole in our universe may contain a 3 dimensional universe, but the amount of energy available to create one would be limited to the amount of energy/matter the black hole has accumulated. It is difficult to imagine our large universe existing within a black hole, and there are theoretical limits to how massive a black hole can become
Knightstar
't Hooft states that information going into a black hole actually ends up at the event horizon of the black hole, increasing the surface area equal to the amount of information absorbed (conservation of matter and energy).
Our entire universe is postulated to be a 3 dimensional space projected from a 2 dimensional space. Then;
a) Could a black hole project its event horizon into its 3 dimensional confines?
b)1 Could our universe be the contained within the volume a black hole?
2 Could the expansion of our universe be due to our Universal Black Hole being in an active period?
c) Could every black hole in our universe contain a 3 dimensional universe?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
These are all speculative to the point of being nonsense as far as I've ever been able to tell, but not everyone agrees w/ me.

I keep encountering the notion that a universe can exist within a black hole, indeed that our universe might reside there. Most recently the TV show "What Happened Before The Big Bang on the Science Channel had an interview with Neil Turok of Cambridge making such a claim. The part that never seems to be addressed to my satisfaction is that the amount of energy available to create a universe within a black hole must be limited to the amount of energy/matter that the black hole has accumulated since it was a collapsed star. No?

Estimates of the amount of energy (in all its forms) that comprises our universe is enormous, amounting to an estimated 100 billion galaxies with most if not all of these galaxies containing at least one super-massive black hole at their centers. And then that all of that energy/mass is still only 4% of the total when you account for dark matter/dark energy. So it is really difficult to imagine that our enormous universe exists within a black hole that is sufficiently massive to encompass it. Aren't there theoretical limits to how massive a black hole can become? Doesn't this kind of thinking just lead us down another infinite rabbit hole of ever larger parent universes that require explanation for their origins? I'm just asking what I might be missing here.

getmygluon said:
I keep encountering the notion that a universe can exist within a black hole, indeed that our universe might reside there. Most recently the TV show "What Happened Before The Big Bang on the Science Channel had an interview with Neil Turok of Cambridge making such a claim. The part that never seems to be addressed to my satisfaction is that the amount of energy available to create a universe within a black hole must be limited to the amount of energy/matter that the black hole has accumulated since it was a collapsed star. No?

Estimates of the amount of energy (in all its forms) that comprises our universe is enormous, amounting to an estimated 100 billion galaxies with most if not all of these galaxies containing at least one super-massive black hole at their centers. And then that all of that energy/mass is still only 4% of the total when you account for dark matter/dark energy. So it is really difficult to imagine that our enormous universe exists within a black hole that is sufficiently massive to encompass it. Aren't there theoretical limits to how massive a black hole can become? Doesn't this kind of thinking just lead us down another infinite rabbit hole of ever larger parent universes that require explanation for their origins? I'm just asking what I might be missing here.

This stuff, like the previous post appears to be nothing but nonsense. The physics just doesn't work, as you suspect. Also, your statements about "the universe" are actually only about the OBSERVABLE universe. Estimates of the non-observable universe run to hundreds of orders of magnitude larger.

EDIT: you don't generally see this kind of stuff anywhere but on TV shows or in popularizations where the goal is to make money, not to teach actual science.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Susskind gives a lecture on youtube about this kind of thing, although he dismisses this question rather quickly.

getmygluon said:
I keep encountering the notion that a universe can exist within a black hole, indeed that our universe might reside there. Most recently the TV show "What Happened Before The Big Bang on the Science Channel had an interview with Neil Turok of Cambridge making such a claim. .

Can you check if that's what Turok said? Turok's model for the early unvierse is higher dminesional branes colliding, I suspect maybe you are confusing it with Lee Smolin's cosmic natural selection model.

RUTA said:
The observable universe inside a black hole, W.M. Stuckey, Am. J. Phys. v62, #9, 788-795 (1994) http://users.etown.edu/s/stuckeym/AJP1994.pdf

This paper is from 1994. Dark energy, wasn't even known back then. I'm dubious about their conculsions.

We have a FAQ about this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506992

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What evidence suggests that our universe is contained within a black hole?

There are a few key pieces of evidence that suggest our universe could be contained within a black hole. One is the fact that the universe appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate, which is consistent with the effects of a black hole's gravitational pull. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation shows patterns that could be caused by the event horizon of a black hole. Lastly, some theories of quantum gravity suggest that the universe could be inside a black hole.

2. How would being inside a black hole affect the laws of physics in our universe?

If our universe is indeed contained within a black hole, it would likely have significant implications for the laws of physics as we know them. For example, the concept of time and space could be fundamentally different inside a black hole compared to outside of it. Additionally, the extreme gravitational forces within a black hole could cause distortions in space and time that we cannot currently imagine.

3. Could we ever prove or disprove the theory that our universe is contained within a black hole?

At this point, it is difficult to say whether we will ever be able to definitively prove or disprove the theory that our universe is contained within a black hole. While there is some evidence that supports the idea, it is still a highly speculative and controversial concept. It is possible that future advancements in technology and understanding of the laws of physics could shed more light on this question.

4. If our universe is contained within a black hole, what would be outside of it?

If our universe is contained within a black hole, it is unclear what would exist outside of it. Some theories propose the idea of a multiverse, where our universe is just one of many within a larger cosmic system. Others suggest that our universe could be a contained system with nothing outside of it. Ultimately, this is still a topic of speculation and debate within the scientific community.

5. How does this theory impact our understanding of the origins of the universe?

If our universe is indeed contained within a black hole, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the origins of the universe. It would challenge the traditional Big Bang theory and could potentially provide new insights into the nature of the universe and its creation. However, this theory is still in its early stages and more research and evidence are needed to fully understand its impact on our understanding of the origins of the universe.