Black Hole Diameter: Is It Finite or Infinite?

In summary, a black hole does not have a well-defined density or volume, and it is not an ordinary object. The notion of space-time converging into a singularity inside the event horizon is not physically reasonable, and many physicists hope a theory of quantum gravity will fix this issue. The space inside a black hole is not an ordinary "interior" and there is no spatial center. The singularity at the center is a moment of time in the future, not a place in space. It is impossible to measure the circumference or diameter of a black hole by walking around it, and the volume of a black hole is also undefined. The spacetime geometry inside a black hole is vastly different from ordinary space.
PeterDonis said:
This is a very vague description (and you should give specific references instead of just saying "I have seen") and is not a good basis for reasoning about black holes.
A vague description of what?

It was the answer to your question 'why do you think that' and this is an absolutely clear as a bell answer why I thought that.

At no point did you say 'can you please give me the basis for your reasoning about black holes?', so of course I never gave you an answer to that.

"I have seen..." is a good answer to "why do you think...?". You seem to be thinking that you asked a different question and deserve a different answer.

If you had asked "how can you justify that?" then I'd not have given that answer. I'd have said I can't and might then have directed you at the text which caused me to think that. (Frankly, pretty much every lay-person's text on the subject says it, find one that does not. Try wikipedia.)

You seem to strive on probing on very specific points, but don't ask very specific questions.

Do you think this has been a friendly sort of exchange to help me with my understanding of this sort of thing?

Don't worry, I am off this thread now. Nothing more to ask/say.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore and weirdoguy
Space news on Phys.org
cmb said:
A vague description of what?
Of the collapse of a massive object to form a black hole. I did not mean to imply that your answer to my question was vague; I agree that it wasn't.

cmb said:
You seem to strive on probing on very specific points, but don't ask very specific questions.
You seem to be getting very hung up on the particular words I used to ask one particular question, instead of reading my latest response, post #35, as a whole and thinking about what it says.

cmb said:
Do you think this has been a friendly sort of exchange to help me with my understanding of this sort of thing?
I think that, if you want to gain a better understanding of how black holes actually work, you should read my post #35 and think about what it says.

Likes Motore