Dec8-12, 09:06 PM
P: 7
the damped oscillator equation:

(m)y''(t) + (v)y'(t) +(k)y(t)=0

Show that the energy of the system given by

E=(1/2)mx' + (1/2)kx

satisfies:

dE/dt = -mvx'

i have gone through this several time simply differentiating the expression for E wrt and i end up with

dE/dt = x'(-vx')

im at a brick wall. Am i doing something wrong? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Dick
Dec8-12, 10:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,174
Quote Quote by Paddyod1509 View Post
the damped oscillator equation:

(m)y''(t) + (v)y'(t) +(k)y(t)=0

Show that the energy of the system given by

E=(1/2)mx' + (1/2)kx

satisfies:

dE/dt = -mvx'

i have gone through this several time simply differentiating the expression for E wrt and i end up with

dE/dt = x'(-vx')

im at a brick wall. Am i doing something wrong? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks
There is some sort of problem with the equation you have been asked to prove. A damped oscillator is always losing energy. Your solution shows that is true. The given solution would say the oscillator is sometimes gaining energy if the sign of x' is correct. I don't think that's correct.
rude man
Dec9-12, 11:39 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,431
You can't just differentiate E the way you did and prove the theorem. You need to incorporate the basic diff eq representing a damped spring-mass system. The expression for E represents ANY spring-mass system, damped or not, linear or not, etc.

The only thing I can think of is to solve the diff eq (it's a simple 2nd order one with constant coeff). Apply an initial condition to x = x0. Derive the solution x(t) and then substitute in E, take dE/dt and there you are.

(BTW why is y used in the diff eq and x in E?)

Dick's comment is well taken! Not only his, but I noticed the dimensions don't make sense. dE/dt has dimensions of FLT-1 whereas -mvx' has dimensions of MF where
M = mass
F = force = MLT-2
L = length
T = time.

Thus -mvx' has the wrong dimensions to be dE/dt.

Dick
Dec9-12, 11:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks

Damped Oscillator equation - Energy

Quote Quote by rude man View Post
You can't just differentiate E the way you did and prove the theorem (BTW it's probably correct). You need to incorporate the basic diff eq representing a damped spring-mass system. The expression for E represents ANY spring-mass system, damped or not, linear or not, etc.

The only thing I can think of is to solve the diff eq (it's a simple 2nd order one with constant coeff). Apply an initial condition to x = x0. Derive the solution x(t) and then substitute in E, take dE/dt and there you are.

(BTW why is y used in the diff eq and x in E?)
Paddyod1509 did substitute the differential equation into dE/dt to get his answer. The given answer can't be right. -vx'^2 has the correct units of J/s. -mvx' doesn't.
rude man
Dec9-12, 02:09 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Paddyod1509 did substitute the differential equation into dE/dt to get his answer. The given answer can't be right. -vx'^2 has the correct units of J/s. -mvx' doesn't.
OK, I was misled by his wording.
Dick
Dec9-12, 02:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
OK, I was misled by his wording.
Well, he didn't actually say that that's what he did. But once you form dE/dt it's the obvious way to get to -vx'^2.
rude man
Dec9-12, 03:37 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Well, he didn't actually say that that's what he did. But once you form dE/dt it's the obvious way to get to -vx'^2.
So did he solve the d.e. for x(t) and then substitute in E, or what?
Dick
Dec9-12, 03:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
So did he solve the d.e. for x(t) and then substitute in E, or what?
No. He found dE/dt=mx'x''+kxx'=x'(mx''+kx). The DE then tells you mx''+kx=(-vx'). You don't need to actually solve the DE.
rude man
Dec9-12, 04:32 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
No. He found dE/dt=mx'x''+kxx'=x'(mx''+kx). The DE then tells you mx''+kx=(-vx'). You don't need to actually solve the DE.
Thanks. Good job.

Register to reply