Solving for the Damping Constant

In summary, Wiley (the publisher) is wrong when they say that the answer for ##b## is a negative number (-1100 kg/s). The answer is actually positive.
lightlightsup
Homework Statement
The suspension system of a mass ##M## automobile "sags” a distance ##x## when the chassis is placed on it. Also, the oscillation amplitude decreases by a factor ##N## each cycle. Estimate the values of (a) the spring constant ##k## and (b) the damping constant ##b## for the spring and shock absorber system of one wheel, assuming each wheel supports an equal fraction of the weight. Make the simplifying assumption that the change in the period due to damping can be ignored. Express your answer in terms of the variables given and ##g##.
Relevant Equations
See attempt.
##x(t)=x_m e^{\frac{-bt}{2m}}cos(ωt+φ)##
Damping Factor: ##e^{\frac{-bt}{2m}}## (##b## is the damping constant)
Estimated ##ω##: ##\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}##
More Accurate ##ω'##: ##\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}-\frac{b^2}{4m^2}}##
Also: ##T = \frac{2π}{ω}## and ##F = kx##.

So, my answers:
##k = \frac{Mg}{4x}##
Estimate: ## b = -\frac{M\ln(N)}{4π}\sqrt{\frac{g}{x}}##
More Accurate: ## b = \sqrt{\frac{gM^2\ln^2(N)}{x[16π^2+4\ln^2(N)]}}##

Apparently, my answer for ##k## is correct but my answer for ##b## is wrong.

If you need numbers to test these equations:
••60 The suspension system of a 2000 kg automobile “sags” 10 cm when the chassis is placed on it. Also, the oscillation amplitude decreases by 50% each cycle. Estimate the values of (a) the spring constant ##k## and (b) the damping constant ##b## for the spring and shock absorber system of one wheel, assuming each wheel supports 500 kg.
The answers are: (a) 49,000 N/m, (b) ~1100kg/s (1092 with the estimated ##b## and 1086 with the more accurate ##b## formula).

This is from Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics, 11th Edition, Chapter 15 (Oscillations).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lightlightsup said:
So, my answers:
##k = \frac{Mg}{4x}##
Estimate: ## b = -\frac{M\ln(N)}{4π}\sqrt{\frac{g}{x}}##
More Accurate: ## b = \sqrt{\frac{gM^2\ln^2(N)}{x[16π^2+4\ln^2(N)]}}##

Apparently, my answer for ##k## is correct but my answer for ##b## is wrong?
Why do you say your answer for ##b## is wrong. Your formula for the "estimate" and for the "more accurate" look correct.

Likes lightlightsup
TSny said:
Why do you say your answer for ##b## is wrong. Your formula for the "estimate" and for the "more accurate" look correct.

Thank You.
I thought so.
I think Wiley (the publisher) is wrong.
Their online homework system does not tell me why I'm wrong.

My Answer in JS. Change the variable values on line 1.:
M = 2000; x = 0.1; N = 0.5; g = 9.8;
k = ((0.25*M)*g)/x;
b_simple = (((-1*(0.25*M))*Math.log(N))/(Math.PI))*(Math.sqrt(g/x));
b_complex = Math.sqrt((g*(M**2)*((Math.log(N))**2))/(x*((16*((Math.PI)**2))+(4*((Math.log(N))**2)))));
console.log("k =",k);
console.log("b (simple) =",b_simple);
console.log("b (complex) =",b_complex);

Last edited:
OK.

lightlightsup said:
If you need numbers to test these equations:
••60 The suspension system of a 2000 kg automobile “sags” 10 cm when the chassis is placed on it. Also, the oscillation amplitude decreases by 50% each cycle. Estimate the values of (a) the spring constant ##k## and (b) the damping constant ##b## for the spring and shock absorber system of one wheel, assuming each wheel supports 500 kg.
The answers are: (a) 49,000 N/m, (b) ~1100kg/s (1092 with the estimated ##b## and 1086 with the more accurate ##b## formula).

This is from Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics, 11th Edition, Chapter 15 (Oscillations).
Is the above quote taken from the textbook? I'm curious as to why the answer for ##b## is given as a negative number (-1100 kg/s). From your expression for ##x(t)##, ##b## should be a positive number.

TSny said:
OK.
Is the above quote taken from the textbook? I'm curious as to why the answer for ##b## is given as a negative number (-1100 kg/s). From your expression for ##x(t)##, ##b## should be a positive number.

That's a ~, not a -.

lightlightsup said:
That's a ~, not a -.
What is the meaning of ~ ? Is it supposed to be an "approximate" symbol?

lightlightsup said:
OK. For some reason, the symbol is displaying as a hyphen on my screen. Thanks.

(Interesting: In Chrome it displays as a hyphen, but in Explorer it displays correctly as ##\sim##)

Last edited:
This is the solution, as per WileyPlus. Does this make sense?
I fail to see a scenario where b would not evaluate to a negative number.
There should be a negative sign in the answer to turn the ##\ln{N}## into a positive?
Wiley Solution.png

The original problem statement says ##N## is the factor by which the amplitude decreases per cycle. This could be interpreted as saying that ##N## is what you multiply the initial amplitude by in order to get the next amplitude. In this case, ##N## is less than 1. This leads to your formula for ##b## which has the overall negative sign outside that combines with the negative value of ##ln N## so that ##b## is positive.

WileyPlus takes ##N## to be a number that you divide the initial amplitude by. So, now ##N > 1##. The formula for ##b## will no longer have an overall negative sign. But ##b## will still come out positive.

Likes lightlightsup
TSny said:
The original problem statement says ##N## is the factor by which the amplitude decreases per cycle. This could be interpreted as saying that ##N## is what you multiply the initial amplitude by in order to get the next amplitude. In this case, ##N## is less than 1. This leads to your formula for ##b## which has the overall negative sign outside that combines with the negative value of ##ln N## so that ##b## is positive.

WileyPlus takes ##N## to be a number that you divide the initial amplitude by. So, now ##N > 1##. The formula for ##b## will no longer have an overall negative sign. But ##b## will still come out positive.

Wish they were clearer about this.
Guess I have to brush up on my math and interpretation game.
Thank You.

lightlightsup said:
Wish they were clearer about this.
Guess I have to brush up on my math and interpretation game.
Thank You.
They should definitely have been clearer on the interpretation of N. Especially if they were accepting only one interpretation as the correct answer.

Likes lightlightsup

1. What is the purpose of solving for the damping constant?

The damping constant is a parameter used in mathematical models to describe the rate at which a system loses energy. Solving for the damping constant allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the system over time.

2. How is the damping constant calculated?

The damping constant, denoted by the symbol "c", is calculated by dividing the damping force by the velocity of the system. It can also be calculated using the natural frequency and the damping ratio.

3. What is the relationship between the damping constant and the damping force?

The damping force is directly proportional to the damping constant. This means that as the damping constant increases, the damping force also increases. This relationship is described by the equation Fd = -cv, where Fd is the damping force and v is the velocity.

4. How does the damping constant affect the behavior of a system?

The damping constant determines the rate at which a system's energy is dissipated. A higher damping constant results in a faster dissipation of energy and a quicker return to equilibrium, whereas a lower damping constant allows the system to oscillate for a longer period of time before reaching equilibrium.

5. Can the damping constant be changed or controlled?

Yes, the damping constant can be changed by adjusting the system's design or parameters. For example, in a mechanical system, the damping constant can be altered by changing the material of the damping component or adjusting the position of the damping element. In some cases, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the damping constant.