Finding the damping force for a critically damped oscillator

In summary, a critically damped simple harmonic oscillator with an amplitude of 5.0 cm and a mass of 0.58 kg hanging from a spring with spring constant 150 N/m comes to rest at equilibrium after 3.5 seconds. The equations for a critically damped oscillator are used to solve for the parameters c_1 and c_2, which are then used to find the value for the friction force (or damping force) of -b v. The maximum value of v(t) is then found to determine the magnitude of the friction force.
issacnewton

Homework Statement

A critically damped simple harmonic oscillator starts from an amplitude of 5.0 cm and comes to rest at equilibrium 3.5 s later. The SHO is made of a 0.58 kg mass hanging from a spring with spring constant 150 N/m. Assuming the friction force is in the vertical direction, how big is the friction force?

Homework Equations

Equations for the critically damped oscillator. We have ##b = 2\sqrt{mk}## for critically damped oscillator and general equation for critically damped oscillator is
$$ x(t) = e^{-bt/2m}\left(c_1 + c_2 t\right) $$
where ##c_1, c_2## are parameters which depend on initial conditions

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I reasoned that ##x=0## when ##t = 3.5 s##, so we get the equation
$$0 = e^{-3.5b/2m} \left(c_1 + 3.5c_2 \right) $$
which leads us to conclude that ## c_1 = -3.5 c_2##. Now, we also know that at ##t=0##, ##x## is equal to the amplitude of 5 cm. This gives us the equation
$$5cm = c_1$$
So, using these equations, we can solve for ##c_1 = 0.05m## and ##c_2 = -0.014286\;m/s##. Using ##b = 2\sqrt{mk}##, I get ##b = 18.655##. So I get all the parameters for the general solution. Now the friction force or the damping force here has the form of ##F = -b v##. And I have no idea how to get that from the given data.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your calculations, but the gist of it looks correct. Can you find v(t) by taking the derivative of x(t)? Then you just need to find its maximum value, since they want to know "how big" the force is.

so do I equate the first derivative of ##v(t)## to zero and solve for ##t## ?

1. What is a critically damped oscillator?

A critically damped oscillator is a type of mechanical system that, when disturbed from its equilibrium position, returns to its original position without any oscillations or overshooting. It is the fastest type of damping and occurs when the damping force is equal to the critical damping coefficient.

2. How is damping force calculated for a critically damped oscillator?

Damping force for a critically damped oscillator can be calculated using the formula F = -bv, where F is the damping force, b is the damping coefficient, and v is the velocity of the oscillator.

3. What are the factors that affect the damping force for a critically damped oscillator?

The factors that affect the damping force for a critically damped oscillator include the damping coefficient, mass of the oscillator, and the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations.

4. How does increasing the damping coefficient affect the damping force for a critically damped oscillator?

Increasing the damping coefficient will result in a larger damping force for a critically damped oscillator. This means that the oscillator will return to its equilibrium position faster without any overshooting or oscillations.

5. How is the damping force related to the energy dissipation in a critically damped oscillator?

The damping force in a critically damped oscillator is directly related to the energy dissipation. As the oscillator moves, the damping force acts in the opposite direction, dissipating the energy and causing the oscillator to eventually come to rest at its equilibrium position.