Damped oscillation of a car on a road: velocity calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car circulating on a road with a sinusoidal profile. The car has a mass of 600.0 kg and is equipped with constant springs and dampers on each wheel. The task is to calculate the velocity of the car when the vertical oscillations have the biggest amplitude. The equations of a damped oscillator and the period of oscillation are provided to assist in finding a solution. After some calculations, it is determined that the frequency of the driving force needs to be determined in order to find the maximum amplitude. The correct answer is eventually found by using the correct values for the constants.
Granger

Homework Statement

The car circulates on a section of road whose profile can be approximated by a sinusoidal curve with the wavelength of 5.0 m. The mass of the car is 600.0 kg, and each wheel is equipped with a constant spring
k = 5000 Nm-1 and a damper with constant b = 450 Nm-1s.
Calculate the velocity of the car when the vertical oscillations have biggest amplitude.

Homework Equations

Equation of a damped oscillator
$$ x(t) = A e^{-\lambda t}\cos(\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\lambda^2}t +\phi)$$

where $$ \lambda=\frac{b}{2m} $$ and $$ \omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$$

$$T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega_0}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I thought was that, since this is a damped oscillator, then the amplitude must be maximum at t=0.

Then since they give us the wavelength we know that x(0) = 0 and x(T) = 5.0 m

Substituting in the damped oscillator equation we get to:

$$ 0 = A\cos(\phi)$$
$$ 5= A e^{-\lambda T}\cos(\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\lambda^2}T - \phi)$$

Calculating all the known constants and solving this system of 2 equations we get to

$$\lambda=0.375$$
$$\omega_0 = 2.887$$
$$T=2.176$$
$$\phi=\pi/2$$
$$A=208.357$$

Now using the equation for velocity, by differentiating the equation of the damped oscillator:

$$ v(t) = -\lambdaA e^{-\lambda t}\cos(\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\lambda^2}t - \phi) - A \sqrt{\omega_0^2-\lambda^2} e^{-\lambda t}\cos(\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\lambda^2}t - \phi)$$

Substituting the know values we get to $$v=-596.43$$

The answer should be $$v=4.3$$

Can someone help me understand what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why x(T) = 5m? Is x the horizontal distance or the vertical displacement?

Do you really think the whole car is going up and down with an amplitude of 5 m ?

mjc123 said:
Why x(T) = 5m? Is x the horizontal distance or the vertical displacement?

Oh you're both right confused both things (horizontal and vertical displacement). Then the way I'm approaching the problem doesn't work because I don't know the value of x(T)... However the fact that the wavelength is given must serve to apply a condition but I'm not seeing what...

You have a driven damped harmonic oscillator. If you drive at 10 m/s your driving force has a frequency of 2 Hz, for example.

BvU said:
You have a driven damped harmonic oscillator. If you drive at 10 m/s your driving force has a frequency of 2 Hz, for example.

Oh so we use the relation between velocity, wavelength and frequency is $$v=\lambda f$$.
But how to choose f?
If I just use the angular frequency (dividing it by 2pi) I obtain 2.3 and not 4.3.

Granger said:
Oh so we use the relation between velocity, wavelength and frequency is $$v=\lambda f$$.
But how to choose f?
If I just use the angular frequency (dividing it by 2pi) I obtain 2.3 and not 4.3.
You calculated λ as 0.375 s-1, but:
Granger said:
mass of the car is 600.0 kg
Granger said:
each wheel is equipped with...
How many cars? How many wheels?

Granger said:
But how to choose f?
Haru helps you out with a big correction.
You don't choose f, you determine it -- that is the core of the exercise. The driving force has a frequency v/(5 m) and your job is to find the frequency that gives the greatest amplitude.
Be sure to post calculations (in terms of formulas with symbols, stepwise if useful), not just a numerical outcome.

haruspex said:
You calculated λ as 0.375 s-1, but:How many cars? How many wheels?
´

BvU said:
Haru helps you out with a big correction.
You don't choose f, you determine it -- that is the core of the exercise. The driving force has a frequency v/(5 m) and your job is to find the frequency that gives the greatest amplitude.
Be sure to post calculations (in terms of formulas with symbols, stepwise if useful), not just a numerical outcome.

How I get it now! I didn't understand this was a driven oscillator was a forced oscillator. Then the maximum amplitude or ressonance of amplitude.
Also I need to treat just one wheel of the car (which supports a quarter of its weight -> a quarter of its mass),

Then
$$\omega_0=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}=\sqrt{\frac{5000}{600/4}}=5.774$$
$$\lambda=\frac{b}{2m}=\frac{450}{2\times 600/4}=1.5$$
$$\omega_f=\sqrt{\omega_0^2 -2 \lambda ^2}=\sqrt{(5.774)^2 -2 (1.5) ^2}=5.37$$

Now the velocity:
$$v=\lambda f = 1.5 \times \frac{\omega_f}{2\pi}=1.3$$

Still not the correct result...

There is a distinction between the ##\lambda = 1.5##/s that follows from ##b\over 2m## and the ##\lambda = 5## m to convert speed to driving force frequency.
I agree with the ##\omega_f## value you found, but ...

[edit] -- sorry, the 'but...' reservation was overhasty. You do have the right expression with the 2##\lambda^2##.

Last edited:
Likes Granger
Right I made confusion between both lambdas. Thanks!

I want to make use of the opportunity to stress that you ALWAYS want to check dimensions in your expressions. It can save you from errors big time !

Likes Granger

1. What is damped oscillation?

Damped oscillation refers to the repeated back-and-forth motion of an object that gradually decreases in amplitude due to the dissipation of energy. In the context of a car on a road, this can refer to the car's velocity as it travels over bumps or uneven surfaces.

2. How is damped oscillation measured?

In the case of a car on a road, damped oscillation can be measured by calculating the car's velocity over a period of time. This can be done using sensors or by recording the car's speedometer readings.

3. What factors affect the damped oscillation of a car on a road?

The damped oscillation of a car on a road can be affected by various factors such as the road surface, the speed of the car, the suspension system of the car, and the weight distribution of the car. These factors can impact the amount of energy dissipated during the oscillation, thus affecting the car's velocity.

4. How does damped oscillation affect the overall performance of a car?

Damped oscillation can affect the overall performance of a car in terms of ride comfort, handling, and fuel efficiency. A car with a well-damped suspension system will have better stability and control, leading to a smoother ride and improved fuel efficiency.

5. Can damped oscillation be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent damped oscillation, it can be minimized through proper car maintenance and design. Regular maintenance of the suspension system and ensuring proper weight distribution can help reduce the effects of damped oscillation on a car's performance.