Register to reply

Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)

by Grinch
Tags: ansoft, maxwell
Share this thread:
Fuxue Jin
Oct12-12, 03:06 PM
P: 76
For core loss, I have not done much but here is what I believe.

The core loss data set in Maxwell is used to define Cm, X and Y three parameters (after fitting the loss curve). With these three parameters, the core loss is calculated at any give frequency when the simulation runs.

For thermal, basically you need define how these three parameters change with temperature, either by a equation or data set.

Again, I have not done much but that is what I understand. However, simulation results about core loss in Maxwell is not that accurate.

Quote Quote by cimopata View Post
Thanks for your help!

Yes, I found this options and I adjusted the core losses in 25°C(by the "power ferrit" core loss type).
Actually I'm using N87 ferrit core. I already can measure the core loss. The results is very nice :)
The next step what I would like to do is the "Thermal modifier".
By the core loss type I have Power ferrite. There is 3 value (Cm, X, Y). Every value have "Edit thermal modifier" option. In this window how can I adjust the loss for example 100°C?

Thanks!
Best Regards!
Bálint
Fuxue Jin
Oct12-12, 03:08 PM
When you run transient simulation, the initial setup only use the initial mesh. It doesn't refine the mesh as it does in Magnetostatic.

Other quoestion:

The simulation is very slow. 50us transient (0.5us step) takes about 20 hour. I would like to speed up. My toroids dimension is about 50mmx16mm. What is the recomended mesh size (faster simulation/precise caltulation).

My compure:
Intel core i7
6GB 1333mHz RAM

Thanks!
Fuxue Jin
Oct12-12, 03:11 PM
I believe distributed mode needs separate license.

Thanks gerbi!

I am going to try it!

Maybe have you any experience the distributed mode computing between computers?
I tried, but there is something error message:
"Error: Unable to contact AnsoftRSMService, Reason: ANS_CANNOT_CONNECTTO_ANSOFTRSMSERVICE
Testing Completed.
Error: Some tests have failed.
klmnopq
Oct13-12, 01:02 PM
P: 27
I need to simulate machines in maxwell

any tutorial for begainners like me?
gerbi
Oct14-12, 11:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 160
Quote Quote by klmnopq View Post
I need to simulate machines in maxwell

any tutorial for begainners like me?
write me your e-mail in private message, i'll send them to you
homer5785
Oct16-12, 12:25 PM
P: 2
Hey guys,

im using Maxwell 3D V14 in transient mode to simulate a pulse transformer. So imho it is useful to implement a frequency dependend magnetic permeability given in most datasheets of magnet materials. I found a how-to here:
http://www.psma.com/sites/default/fi...transforme.pdf

But when I simulate a step response of a pulse transformer in this way the simulation does not converge very well. I think this is because of the fact that I havent defined the permeability for up to the highest frequencies in the step. But unfortunately I get not more data from the datasheet. What does Maxwell if there are out of range data in a dataset?

Thanks in advance

homer
jynth
Oct17-12, 12:04 AM
P: 1
Hi all,

I'm a new user and i need some info on an error message i got while doing a busbar inductance simulation which says " Could not preserve critical nodes " Now where can I see in the software that shows these critical nodes so that I can fix it. Or may be in the meshing is parameters what would be the ideal settings.

I would thank anyone who can help me do a quick fix!
:)
annalisemalta
Oct18-12, 03:33 AM
P: 10
Hi,
I am also new to Maxwell and I am trying to simulate my model in 3D. however I am getting this error:

There is an error in executing 'mesh3d'

even though I created a separate mesh for each item

thanks
cimopata
Oct20-12, 05:26 AM
P: 6
Hy all!

I continued the torroid transformer simulation, but I discovered some weird things.
I measure:
-input power
-output power
-core loss
-solid loss
-standed loss
-standedR loss
I add these values but there is still have missing power.

To simplify the measurement I creat a simple O ring core and one primer coil.
The imput voltage is +/-100V square. The core is N87 ferrite adjusted B-H curve and core loss.
I attached the maxwell 15.0 file and a Excel file I calculated the power.
The comutate result is:
Pin: 3.483733733W
Pout: 0.002990193W (it is heat actuaally)
So where is my sweet 3.480743539W ? :D

Thanks!
BR.
Balint!
Attached Files
File Type: zip O core maxwell 15.0.zip (54.7 KB, 17 views)
cimopata
Oct20-12, 05:28 AM
P: 6
And here is the excel:
Attached Files
File Type: xls O core.xls (96.5 KB, 18 views)
sourav kundu
Nov11-12, 12:16 PM
P: 1
Quote Quote by siva0707 View Post
Hi gerbi..
i have done the modelling of three phase induction machine in RMxprt. i gave data's such as stator information, rotor information, winding information. when i export this to Maxwell 2D, i am not able to get the full model, its coming as only half model. how can i get the full model when exporting into maxwell 2d??

thnks
with regards
siva
Figured it out. Go to Maxwell 2D → Design Properties. Change the value in fractions from 2 (or as in my case 4) to 1. That's all. Good luck.

Regards
Sourav
homer5785
Nov14-12, 10:30 AM
P: 2
Has anybody an anwer for me? Ref.
Hey guys,

im using Maxwell 3D V14 in transient mode to simulate a pulse transformer. So imho it is useful to implement a frequency dependend magnetic permeability given in most datasheets of magnet materials. I found a how-to here:
http://www.psma.com/sites/default/fi...transforme.pdf

But when I simulate a step response of a pulse transformer in this way the simulation does not converge very well. I think this is because of the fact that I havent defined the permeability for up to the highest frequencies in the step. But unfortunately I get not more data from the datasheet. What does Maxwell if there are out of range data in a dataset?

Thanks in advance

homer
I tried exactly the way in the publication (page 11-14) but up to now the simulation does not converge.
My magnet material (Epcos N30) is defined for frequencies up to 4MHz. I now tried with a "slower" step with a rise time of 200ns. This should avoid frequencies above 4MHz but even with this approach the simulation doesn't work.

One problem is that Maxwell is not starting without a setted Core Loss Type ("Nonlinear assignment required...") so I setted this to Power Ferrite but setted the parameters zero. Unfortunately I have no parameters for that but I think the core losses must be included in the Magnetic loss tangent.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

homer
siva0707
Nov26-12, 12:50 AM
P: 5
hi guys..
i am doing analysis on 4-pole induction machines. i want to couple an electrical circuit with magnetic circuit in ansys. anybody having tutorials for that...basically am from mechanical background. i am struggling a little bit. so kindly help me for the same.

is it possible to do couple field analysis in ansoft maxwell ???

thanks
with regards
Siva
siva0707
Dec17-12, 02:36 AM
P: 5
Hi ..

hope you are all doing good..

i need a help...

currently am working in Ansoft Maxwell,s 2D.

I created a RMXPRT model for 3 phase induction machine. then i exported to MAXWELL2D design.

its a 4-pole 3 phase induction machine. the machine has 60 slots.
it has double layered winding.
the results of the winding currents looks like non-uniform. Phase A, Phase B and Phase C currents are not unique.

kindly give me some suggestions to get uniform winding currents.

Thanks
with Regards
SIVA
Attached Thumbnails
winding current.jpg  
sophie ing
Dec18-12, 05:02 AM
P: 3
Hi guys,
I'm working in Ansoft Maxwell 3D, Transient.
I want to simulate a sort of brushless motor: it's composed by only two coil, with the same excitation. My coil are 108 turns, with 6 layers (18 turn per layer). I have some questions:
1) Is Coil terminal of each coil set to 108 turn?
2) Are there differences in coil terminal setting between the coil of this example and a coil with the same turns and the different number of layers (obviously in this case the geometry is different)?
3) Do I have to create two winding or I can associate the same at the two coil terminals?
4) In Winding properties, how do I have to set the parameter "number of parallel branches"? What is it?
Thanks in advance

Sophie
SirAskalot
Dec18-12, 12:52 PM
P: 136
Siva: What excitation do you have? Current or voltage source? External circuit?

Sophie: How are the two coils connected, Series or parallel?
There is a option in the coil terminal dialog asking for the number of turns: 108 turns.
Do this for both coils.
Make a winding and add the two coil terminals to this winding. Then specify the excitation for this winding, e.g 100*cos(2*pi*50*Time).

If the two windings are connected in parallel I think you must write 2 in the winding properties dialog box.
sophie ing
Jan2-13, 07:08 AM
Quote Quote by SirAskalot View Post
Siva: What excitation do you have? Current or voltage source? External circuit?

Sophie: How are the two coils connected, Series or parallel?
There is a option in the coil terminal dialog asking for the number of turns: 108 turns.
Do this for both coils.
Make a winding and add the two coil terminals to this winding. Then specify the excitation for this winding, e.g 100*cos(2*pi*50*Time).

If the two windings are connected in parallel I think you must write 2 in the winding properties dialog box.
The two coil are connected in series.
Thank you
sophie ing
Jan2-13, 07:25 AM
I have a problem in Maxwell 3D.
I tested a simple situation: I tried to calculated the magnetic field of a current loop.
In the center of the current loop, I expect the direction of the magnetic field parallel to the axis of the current loop, but in the simulation this doesn't happen (see in the picture). Why? What's wrong?

Thanks with regards
Sophie
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic field.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Project1.zip (24.6 KB, 12 views)

Register to reply